PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Observations

will62
07-18-2016, 12:39 PM
In my mind, it seems apparent with the dwindling number of OTA antennas being manufactured despite an upswing in the number of OTA viewers in recent years, there are people in the media trying to phase out OTA broadcasting. TV especially.

After Antennacraft went under with Radio Shack's closing, I found out from a company with ties to Antennacraft that sales of Antennacraft antenna's were UP not down and that they may have been making money. But due to the terms of the bankruptcy, Antennacraft had to be closed and all existing stock liquidated.

Winegard sells almost nothing now and only Channel Master seems to offer a variety of antennas for consumers. MCM Electronics is marketing some new antennas and now Televes is making a bit of a push with their antennas in the USA but we are not seeing much in the way of VHF only offerings.

If I didn't know better, certain industries may be trying to push people into viewing shows on cable, satellite and the internet.

NN2E
07-18-2016, 11:51 PM
I would hope, with the eventual re-packing of the TV channels, some antenna company will fill the void and start producing VHF antennas, again. Time will tell.

Sarcasm on.... I'm so glad we gave up channels 52 through 83 so people can run around playing Pokemon Go. I can't wait to see what's done with channels 30 through 51 when those get swiped from TV... Sarcasm off. Whatta waste of RF spectrum!

73, Ed NN2E
Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds

antennanut
07-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Ed, as you've previously said, the FCC is auctioning off spectrum it doesn't own. More gov'ment intrusion into our hobby.

Tommy

JVL DXer
07-20-2016, 12:01 PM
And allowing translators all over the place.

antennanut
07-20-2016, 10:22 PM
And allowing translators all over the place.

Both on TV and FM. Disgusting.