PDA

View Full Version : Early color TV DX

Robert Grant
01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
With all this attention about setting new DTV DX records, and making "firsts" in DTV DXing, I wonder about something before my time, in the AIPA days.
Were there DXers interested in "color TV DX", keeping track of how many stations were logged in color, and from how far?
Did anyone ever make the claim "First color TV DX by E-skip"?

FWIW, When I first had access to a color TV, 12-06-1969, and noticed that color made the snow worse on WTOL-11 at 50 miles, I was obviously well behind the parade.

73, Robert Grant, N8NU

bozey45
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
When we got our first family color set (Airline, RCA clone CTC-15) In 1964, I DX'd all the time here on the west coast of Florida. We had a VHF-UHF antenna common in this area at the time. I pulled in color video all the time and kept a log even back then. It's somewhere around but I remember getting WKY-TV in Oklahoma City, Channel 4 in Miami on skip, WALA ch. 10 in Mobile, Al; also KARD-TV Wichita, stations in Jacksonville, FL, WSB in Atlanta on CH. 2; there were numerous others; I'll have to locate that log and refresh even myself; as a college student visiting my grandparents in Alabama I would even DX up there both AM and TV. I remember local channels like our channel 3 and 8 would totally disappear on some skip nights and mornings and same with channel 10 here when it came on the air in 1966. Didn't seem to affect ch. 13 (my 30 year place of employment) here very much. I inherited that old Airline color set and DX'd color with it until 1987.

KC5KBV
03-19-2008, 03:10 AM
FWIW, When I first had access to a color TV, 12-06-1969, and noticed that color made the snow worse on WTOL-11 at 50 miles, I was obviously well behind the parade.

That was the day of the infamous "Big Shootout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Texas_vs._Arkansas_football_game)" (University of AR v. Univ of Texas football game), which reportedly boosted sales of Color TV's in central Arkansas by some reports.

It was all really before my time though, I do remember my parents having a B&W console until I was 7 (1972).