PDA

View Full Version : question about TV antenna polarization

ve3fnd
02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Me and some of my ham buddys where talking about antennas and form my under standing TV stations broadcast with a vertical antenna polarization much like FM radio stations do. None of us knew for shure but if im right and they are vertical polarized why are all the TV antennas horizontal. And If im right on that i gess every one should flip there antennas 90 degrees and they will gain about 20db i cant see that being the case or they would sell vertical TV beams and verts insted of horizontally polarized beams. thanks for your help

JOHN VE3FND :confused:

Mark
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
TV has historically been horizontal only, but over the past several years circularly polarized antennas have become available for television transmission, don’t know how many stations have installed these.

Circular polarization has been popular in FM for many years and I would venture to guess in 95% or more of FM stations.

There are few instances where FM stations near channel 6 sites have had to install vertical only antennas to minimize interference to TV 6, which in most cases are horizontal, and most TV viewer’s antennas are [assumed] horizontal.

ve3fnd
02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
hey thanks man ur a big help i had no idea how tv stations worked