PDA

View Full Version : Es in South America

cpldc
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

I might be going to visit my family in Sao Paulo, Brazil this coming January and am curious about summertime Es in the southern hemisphere. I've found plenty of sites from Australians but nothing on TV/FM DX from S.Am. so I am wondering: does summertime E-skip happen frequently down there as it does here?

My family has a house I'm guessing about 60-70 miles away from the city and a giant VHF antenna to get signals from said city so it could be some fun if the atmosphere cooperates.

Thanks.
-Claudio

cd637299
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
It should be the same in Southern Hemisphere summers as in N Hemisphere, but of course the prime months would be December, January & February.

I am not familiar much with the TV color system in Brazil (is it NTSC-N or PAL-N?). But I think the TV system is compatible with Bolivia, Paraguay & Argentina. Somebody please correct me where I am wrong. I think the channels may be the same as our NTSC-M, but the color is a different system, so I have no idea how the TV DX would look from the M countries on an N system.

Australia has a lotta DXers of FM & TV, but I don't think Brazil has many. Check out any Brazil DX clubs (Google will help).

Sao Paulo will be crowded with FM signals, I'd bet....

cd

cpldc
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks. I know Brazil is PAL-M which shows up B&W on an NTSC TV. All of Brazil uses 60Hz power though some parts are 110 and some 220. I think PAL-N as used in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay is 50 fields, but I'll have to see what the channel frequency scheme is like so maybe I could get audio.

Yes, the FM dial in SP is extremely crowded. My family's country house though is far away enough from the city that it's pretty difficult to get good FM reception under normal conditions. It should be good for both TV & FM DX.

I just found a DX club site with an article on FM, so I'll send them an e-mail. I must have missed this on my first Google search.

KW4RZ
07-11-2008, 02:58 AM
You should to be able to get the usual 800-1300 mile FM and TV Es there in January as we do here in in summer. Also TEP propagation across the equator into the Caribbean might be present. Although it's still a bit early in the solar cycle, and not the best month for it but you might be able to get some of the higher powered TV2-6 and FM stations from Trinidad, Netherlands Antilles and maybe further north, Puerto Rico if it gets strong.

KC0LTV
07-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Within standard Es range is Argentina, Bolivia, and the less populated northern part of Brazil. Don't know what band these countries run their TV stations on.