PDA

View Full Version : "Lightning Burst" propagation

NN2E
05-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Several years ago I was checking the channels to see if there was any DX when I noticed brief bursts of signal coming from WGBO 66 Joliet, IL. 350 miles to my north. It acted a bit like meteor burst but, at 780 MHz, I didn't think this was likely. I fired up the C-Band receiver to check the WX Channel radar and saw a cluster of thunderstorms in central IL. about halfway between here and Joliet. This got me thinking that the bursts of signal could be caused by lightning. I turned on an AM radio to monitor the static crashes and, sure enough, every time I heard a static crash I would see a burst of signal from WGBO. I observed this for about 1/2 hour. As the storms moved east, and were no longer in the mid-path between Benton and Joliet, the "lightning burst" propagation went away.
Have any of y'all seen this type of propagation?
73, Ed NN2E
Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds

mrhoover
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes,over 30 years ago in Southwest England receiving the Nantes
transmitter in Western France around 250 miles away on channel E29
it would flash up occasionally when a thunderstorm was in N France
around midway.

Hugh

mrhoover
05-03-2009, 05:37 AM
I put Uhf lightning propagation into Google and got some results.One here briefly at the bottom of the page.

http://www.qsl.net/g3yrc/vhf%20propagation.htm#ls

Don't think it would work too well with DTV !!

Hugh

NN2E
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the link, Hugh.
I'm hoping to try more "Lightning Burst" propagation this Spring / Summer. We have plenty of thunderstorms to work with this time of year. I'd like to think it can be done with digital TV signals. I'll try it as conditons allow.
Now, if it'll just quit raining long enough for me to put the antennas back up on the tower...
73, Ed NN2E
Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds

Robert Grant
05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I received ONE station by Lightning Scatter many years ago, the CKGN channel 22 from Uxbridge seen in Detroit. Catch made possible by unique content (a CBP with "GLOBAL" supered).
At the time, the Cottam transmitter was no longer on the air.
Since then, another 22 came up from Stephenson (not far from Cottam) and the Uxbridge transmitter was replaced with two new transmitters (Channel 41, CN Tower, Toronto, and Channel 7, Midland).