PDA

View Full Version : Solidsignal.com/eBay antennas

cd637299
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi

My project within the next 5 months is to get much more decent antennas for both FM & TV.

Solidsignal.com seems to be the superstore for such things. Also they carry some items via their eBay store.

Has anyone here dealt with them? Are they reliable as far as (1) what they sell, and (2) price?

I plan to take the antennas that I already have on my house, and possibly use them as either trip antennas or emergency ones. I do believe that I *can* do better than I am doing now; unfortunately at present, I am in a mobile home, and I just do not have moch room for any "deluxe" models.

I also believe that with a decent TV antenna, I can pick up WTVX 34 & its subs, which I'd really like to view daily (especially RTV).

Anyway, any recommendations would be welcome. ....Also, does anybody sell 15' long mast? (I can go 25', but my house being about 15' high, I'd need a 10 & a 15, where the "joint" won't be at the roof.)

cd

KW4RZ
09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I use chainlink fence toprail 10ft sections for my mast. Get it at any Lowe's or Home Depot

cd637299
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah but I need something more narrow at one end, to fit it inside the wide part of the next mast....

cd

John Wilke K9RZZ
09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder if the 10 ft sections aren't made anymore? I know that since Radio Shack stopped selling their 30 ft telescoping masts there have been lots of queries on various forums looking for a replacement. (I have two :cool: )

pjdyer
09-07-2009, 10:54 PM
$15 each for three 5' sections from Radio Shack was bad enough :( (support for center of fan dipoles for 20,40,75-m)
Though not as weird as my paying REA $3 when they delivered a $1.52 10' one in 1963 from Allied Radio in Chicago. Didn't do THAT again :)

73, Pat - WA5IYX

antennanut
09-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I've bought an Antennas Direct XG-91 from solidsignal. The price was lower than on Antennas Direct's own website, and the antenna came within two days of my purchase. Now if only I could save up enough $$$ to get the antenna installer to come do the roof work, replacing the 8 bay...

Danny
09-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Like Randy, I have used fence top rail. I've also used the old gold 10ft masts sections from Radio Shack, which are not likely available these days.

There are two styles of top-rail around here. One uses a coupler to attach the ends of sections together. The most common, though, is like the old RS mast: One end is smaller so that the sections can be slipped together without any additional hardware.

I did order a 20ft Channel Master telescoping mast from Fry's Electronics last year. It was shipped by DHL.

As for Solid Signal, other good sources are Warren Electronics and Stark's.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/

I've purchased supplies from all three over the years.

KW4RZ
09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
The 10ft toprail is tapered on one end and fit together nicely. I have 2 sections that I use my 2 meter antenna and have a simple easy to remove fastener on the eave of the house just above the joint. I take it down when not in use. I've never bought the Radio Shack mast segments. Have used chainlink fence toprail for medium and smaller antennas for over 20 yrs with no problems.

Danny
09-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Christopher, I think the XG-91 (also known as 91XG) is a very good UHF antenna. At one time, Amazon had the best price on that antenna, but I haven't checked lately.

cd637299
09-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanx guys. I still have 5 months, and my money is at a premium right now.

Late July, my R Shack VU-90 against the house was acting up. Had to use the same-model trip antenna instead. Now it seems to be working fine again. No idea what is going on. RTV coming in tonight!

cd

Gary Hickerson
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
cd,

The toprail, does, make a very good, antenna pole. You can slide one section, into the other. Very heavy duty. The only thing, is, that you have to "walk it up". If you are looking for a telescopic pole, try the Channel Master CM 1620. They have these at Stark & Warren Electronics. I've also seen them at Lowe's, Home depot and any local Electronic store. I put the pole, into the ground, a couple of feet, and secure the pole to the house, using an Eve Mount.
I haven't tried the XG-91 but it looks like a fine antenna and very directional, also with high gain. The Winegard PR-9032 is also an excellent choice. The VU-90, doesn't have a very big UHF section. Thats a must, now that we are "digital'. Good luck....

Gary H.

Danny
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
If you are looking for a telescopic pole, try the Channel Master CM 1620. They have these at Stark & Warren Electronics. I've also seen them at Lowe's, Home depot and any local Electronic store.

Gary, are you sure Stark and Warren sell telescoping masts? I haven't seen them in the local Lowe's in years. I ordered mine from Fry's because I couldn't find one anywhere with a decent shipping rate.

cd637299
09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi

Yeah I certainly need a better UHF antenna...but...I'm still ripe for Es from other countries, being in south FL. :) I would not diss VHF here, and will not, for some time!

I only get WTVX's RTV at night. When I wake up, nada. That's when the comedies are....

cd

Jim Thomas
09-09-2009, 02:53 AM
If you want to 'build' your own mast, you could purchase sizes of emt (which is galvanized conduit) and available at Lowe's or Home Depot in the electrical supplies dept. Emt is virtually impossible to bend and will not rust, much like the chain link fence pipes.

Both stages of my dx antennas are on 1.25" emt pipe, which comes in 10' lengths and you can cut it to size with a hacksaw.

Danny
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Jim is right about the 1.25 EMT. That is what I had my channel 2 yagi on for a few years. Don't use the really small diameter, though.

A coupler with screws is required, but it works well.

cd637299
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Funny you mention diameter....

Back when my folks were still alive, they had a home in Belleview FL, south of Ocala. Es were wild and woolly at the time, and Dad used one of those poles with a shorter diameter, and I affixed the antenna.

You shoulda seen that thing blowing around, back and forth!!

cd

pjdyer
09-09-2009, 01:35 PM
The existing two-bay conical at the 1966-69 Austin rental location was on two pieces of irrigation pipe connected with a universal joint. The top section was bracketed to the north-end roof apex so any flexure was minimal. With the sparse local TV in Austin back then almost every house had antennas like that (or higher) to enable their getting the San Antonio stations. When I wrote to the ARRL re concerns about my 20' AGL 6-m 5-el beam and being so close to their airport there and any possible FCC/FAA notification they said not to worry since all those TV antennas were more of a "problem" than it :)

73, Pat- WA5IYX