PDA

View Full Version : Outer Banks travel recommendations

w9wi
03-15-2010, 12:27 AM
A friend wants to go on a road trip to the Outer Banks in late June.

I know a number of DXers have been out there on DXpeditions. This trip will emphatically NOT be a DXpedition. (though I *will* bring a radio!)

But I'm looking for any recommendations for good places to stay/eat/visit. (and for *bad* places to stay/eat/visit!)

cd637299
03-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Been there in 1997, and mainly for AM DXn. By all means, bring a good radio & Select-a-Tenna or something similar if ya got it.

As it was 12+ years ago, all I can recall is that I stayed at a motel in Nags Head, somewhat reasonably priced. Also, Priceline is your friend, if you are a member.

Take about 2-3 free hours in early afternoon for Cape Hatteras...and bring that equipment! Imagine getting WIOD to the south & WBZ to the north, in the dead of afternoon.....I even snagged WWL over land. Night AM DX might bring in the Maritimes, if any AM stations are left there.

There was a burger joint in Manteo, I think, similar to Cheeburger Cheeburger, with a 1950s feel. I wanna say it was called Big Al's, but not sure.

It's worth going.

cd

spunker88
03-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I go on vacation there a lot before I was into Dxing that much. We were staying in a new house that had tvs but cable hadnt been hooked up so I jury rigged an antenna out of aluminum foil and a piece of coax and reception was great at night. One night I got stations from Miami and from Atlantic City and others from inland NC and Virginia. This was on analog tv in 2008.

Now that Im into Dxing I want to go back and try again this time on radio also.

I really want to try AM next time Im down there. In Upstate NY all I hear is stations from Toronto, Montreal, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philidephia, etc. Nothing that is a long ways away, except for 50kws like WWL, KMOX, WSB.