PDA

View Full Version : KPDX 49 - "UPN 49" to "PDX 49"

Dave-OR
04-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Not wasting any time, KPDX Vancouver WA (Portland) has changed its branding, at least on the air, to "PDX 49". They will eventually be a "My Network" affiliate. I receive them here on K44AH Prineville and KUBN-LP 50 Bend.

Posting the old logo (from the website, not updated yet) as well as two screen captures: the new logo/ID for KPDX and a shot of K48BL, which IDs as "CH 48 Powell Butte" and never legally IDs. This station is Country Music videos 24x7 plus lots of locally produced ads + LDS PSAs. It's not on cable and I'm amazed it's actually on the air as I've never spoken to anyone who watches it :-).

Dave Williams
Redmond, OR

Dave-OR
04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Okay, so how many pro lacrosse fans are out there? Yeah, I thought so.

PDX49 has you covered. Here's today's game vs. Edmonton showing the PDX49 bug placement.

Dave

w9wi
04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
... a shot of K48BL, which IDs as "CH 48 Powell Butte" and never legally IDs. ...

On the one hand, LPTVs are not required to ID in the same way as full-power stations. The translator ID rules apply to LPTVs; they may ID in Morse Code, in a way that's difficult to impossible to copy on a regular TV even if you do know Morse.

On the other hand, K48BL is a Class A station which, as I understand it, is required to obey all full-power regulations except those which its low power make impossible to follow. Low power certainly doesn't make it impossible to run an ID announcement!

Dave-OR
04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
On the one hand, LPTVs are not required to ID in the same way as full-power stations. The translator ID rules apply to LPTVs; they may ID in Morse Code, in a way that's difficult to impossible to copy on a regular TV even if you do know Morse.

On the other hand, K48BL is a Class A station which, as I understand it, is required to obey all full-power regulations except those which its low power make impossible to follow. Low power certainly doesn't make it impossible to run an ID announcement!

It's possible, but unlikely, that they ID in morse code. I've never heard anything that remotely sounds like that. They do have audible "You're watching Channel 48 in Powell Butte" IDs - they take their camera out to the county fair, to a classroom, etc. and have the students or whomever do the ID.

Every once in awhile I stick this channel on just to watch their commercials and IDs. Reminds me of TV before it got all slick and corporate. Too bad that all they play is country music videos.

Dave