PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Scatter question

cd637299
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi

I will admit, I am not that good at bagging any FM via meteor scatter, but, Total Recorder has been a boon to trying for it, due to viewing "spikes" in sound.

So, here is my question:

As I live in southeast Florida, would I be wasting my time if I pointed the antenna in any southerly direction (trying for Latin America)? Should I point it to the northwest most of the time? Does it really matter *where* I point the thing? :)

Are there less catches to be made toward the equator? Are there places in the US that "attract" more stations via MS?

cd

pjdyer
10-29-2010, 04:08 AM
If this is of any use http://home.swbell.net/pjdyer/fmms2009.htm
Close-in (high angle of arrival) stations negate directive effects of an antenna, plus a lot of ms is non-great circle path. The optimal times/directions vary with the shower (and used to be listed in the ARRL VHF Handbooks - but probably can be found online now).

73, Pat - WA5IYX

cd637299
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Hmmm.....a lot in MO!

No Mexicans at all? That speaks volumes, as far as MS.

cd

Danny
10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Christopher, I know your question is about FM. Nevertheless, of my 19 TV MS IDs, four are from Mexico. Some of these stations have been IDed multiple times via MS. XEPM-2 was IDed via MS after it became "tucanal" and XEFE-2 was IDed by ID color bars (a few times over the years, but not lately). Here is my list:

KWGN-2 Denver CO
WSB-2 Atlanta GA
XEPM-2 Cd Juarez CHIH
WTTV-4 Bloomington IN
WTWO-2 Terre Haute IN
KGAN-2 Cedar Rapids IA
WMAR-2 Baltimore MD
WJBK-2 Detroit MI
KQTV-2 St Joseph MO
KTVI-2 St Louis MO
XEFB-2 Monterrey NL
WEWS-5 Cleveland OH
WDTN-2 Dayton OH
WCBS-2 New York NY
XEFE-2 Nuevo Leon TAM
XHHUPN-2 Reynosa TAM
WKRN-2 Nashville TN
KMID-2 Midland TX
WBAY-2 Green Bay WI

Russ-PA
10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I've mostly quit MS on FM here as there are only one or two channels where I don't have moderate-to-strong signals in most directions, but what I discovered before IBOC and translators killed it was that there are patterns of these receptions which can vary by shower and by frequency. As has been pointed out, unless you get up to about 1000 miles, the antenna direction isn't critical, so I mostly used the antenna to null interfering signals rather than to aim for an area.

For you, the distances involved might limit your possibilities for Mexico as a lot of Ms here tends toward the 400-700 mile range. If I were you, I'd aim N or NW mostly. Your odds of receiving more stations via Ms would be better that way.

cd637299
10-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanx to all.

Danny, I have received only two TV stations via MS, but on a late Sunday night/Mon morning: WTKR 3 VA & KPRC 2 TX (those were the days, when locals were off a few hours a night). Now the only possible analogs would of course be other countries. Maybe one day---A DTV via MS but I am not holding my breath.

Russ, yes I thought so about MS. I have caught 4 (maybe 5 if you count WYFS Savannah 89.5):

KOYN 93.9 TX (the former WLVE was off for maintenance)
WRBH 88.3 LA (my only triple crown catch--MS/Tr/Es)--now occupied by WGNK
WVJC 89.1 IL*
WWES 89.5 VA*

*via Total Recorder back-to-back days IIRC during a major shower

cd

Danny
10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
For you, the distances involved might limit your possibilities for Mexico as a lot of Ms here tends toward the 400-700 mile range. If I were you, I'd aim N or NW mostly. Your odds of receiving more stations via Ms would be better that way.

Russ has a very good point about distance. Those stations that showed up here multiple times were nearly all in the 475-750 mile range. And note the Mexicans are all from northern Mexico, with XEPM-2 being the most distant at 747 miles.

pjdyer
10-30-2010, 03:33 AM
In the mid 1970s for TV ms I used video-carrier injection to monitor Ch 2 or 3 audios during their 10-pm newscasts - all the relogs got boring after a while :( I eventually ended up with at least one ms catch on those two channels of most that I'd caught by Es (and a few close-in ones that were only via tropo). For the mornings when our locals were off and the targets had test patterns I usually concentrated on Ch 5 where I "needed" more stations by any mode.

73, Pat - WA5IYX