PDA

View Full Version : A "problem" becoming more prevalent

H Hayes PA
04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I guess this is more of an increasing annoyance than a problem. I live about 100 feet or slightly less from a busy avenue in town and more and more I am picking up car's wireless systems to rebroadcast satellite radio to blank FM channels. These brief receptions often times mimic a strong meteor burst. I can usually tell the difference but it's one more issue to deal with. Anyone else noticing this? I guess I could look at this in a positive light in that my system is sensitive enough to pick these things up!

Russ-PA
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It's a problem here also - since I have fewer open channels, I probably notice it less, but I've found that it is a bigger problem for me when I'm in the car during Es. While I've heard meteor scatter in the car, that was some time ago.

Mike-CT
04-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I wish I had that problem. My problem is IBOC all over the dial.

It's all relative, I guess.

spunker88
04-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Theres not a whole lot you can do. Fortunately most newer cars have audio inputs or built in satellite radio support. Its the older cars and car radios that people often install FM transmitters in. So as the older cars and car radios that use FM transmitters get phased out, it should become less of an issue. This is one good thing about living in a rural area is that I don't have any random FM transmitters on the dial.

All I seem to have on the lower end of the FM dial is a bunch of NPR translators belonging to small towns in the area. These are easily overridden by decent tropo or eskip.

KC5KBV
04-11-2011, 12:40 AM
I still have a XM Roady XT from 2006 I still use and move from the car to pickup to house when needed. I no longer use the modulator on it because of plugging the unit into my HT system or the aux input of the cheap aftermarket radio of the pickup (it replaced a stock radio that bought the farm). The car has a cassette tape player and I have an adapter for it. I got tired of having to change frequencies on the mod when driving into an out of town area.

Had I had HSI (available) in 2006 I would have likely have not bought the XM unit. I'm not very pleased with the music part of the merger, although there are a couple of talk channels I listen to (NOT Stern). When I ever get around to getting a modern cellphone I may dump SIRIUS/xm entirely, and listen to streams of a couple of good terrestrial stations that aren't local but have great music (3G is finally avail here in podunk).

Rory
04-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I had XM and loved it in my old car from 2003-2006, running a Delphi SkyFi on the stock stereo with a cassette adapter. Then that car died at 214,000 miles and my next vehicle only had an AM/FM/CD player with no AUX jack. I tried a small XM unit with FM modulator but the sound quality was poor and interference made it very unpleasant to listen to. So I went back to terrestrial radio after that.

Last year I bought a 2010 Toyota Camry that does have an AUX jack, nicely buried in the console under the A/C unit. My iPhone is now my primary source of music...I can listen to almost any radio station worldwide live, for free, over 3G. I use the iheartradio app for Clear Channel stations and the Tune In Radio app for everything else. Pandora is excellent too for times I just want music.