PDA

View Full Version : Locating studios and towers in Google maps

Jim Thomas
02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Ever try this before? IF you CAN'T be there, see if you can track down a station you're curious about through Google Maps Street View. Google Maps Street View is growing rapidly worldwide. I've even located stations in Chiapas Mexico on Street View....roads you would think are among the 'less traveled'.

Here's a few towers in the Indy area. I've never physically seen these towers. The pic was 'screen captured' from Street View. I don't know who these towers belong to. Do you??? If so, please share.

If you try this and add to this thread, post something interesting that you located through Google Maps Street View. Just for fun.......dx is slow.

Danny
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
That is interesting, Jim.

Jim Thomas
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
More fun with the Google Maps Street View.....

No, i've never been to Zamora de Hidalgo, Michoacan. But the photo attached shows the general studios for Sistema RASA Comunicaciones, located at Av. 5 de Mayo #501 Sur Col. Jardines de Catedral, in downtown Zamora de Hidalgo. The studios house 7 radio stations - 3 AM's (XEZM 650, XEQL 970, XEGT 1490) and 4 FM's (XHZN 88.1, XHQL 91.7, XHGT 94.1, XHEZM 103.9).

All snagged from the Street View. I guess I should sit back now and have a margarita.

DX Grrl
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
That's an interesting and cool building, too.

OzarksDXer
02-18-2012, 12:09 AM
I do this for stations sometimes. Most recently, I used, actually Google Earth to do it, when I put my brief x-band AM bandscan up last month. The FCC page tells where the antenna/transmitter sites are, with longitude and latitude. I can put that in, and verify if there is a tower/transmitter at the coordinates. I can then give it my own address or lat/long and see how far it is exactly. Works quite well.