PDA

View Full Version : Scala Antennas

Iowacane
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
I have been given not one but two Scala 10 element TV antennas (for Channel 5) and was wondering any guesses how it would work on other low band TV channels.

They are in very good shape, and only used for a couple years.

I can't see putting them up for use on only one channel. They are somewhat heavy too.

Juan Gualda
KB0GXM

egrabow
01-24-2013, 03:10 PM
If you're looking for DTV Es, channel 5 is the one with the most targets. They should work on 2-6 and probably FM too, gain would just be a little lower.

Iowacane
01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks Ryan...

I need to find a way now to haul them home. I will figure out something to do with them...or at least one of them.

Juan

Mike-CT
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
I can't see putting them up for use on only one channel. They are somewhat heavy too.

KB0GXM

And they are not exactly inexpensive either. These are more for like broadcast use, I think and built to withstand some very nasty weather. You got a good deal!

pjdyer
01-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Probably what some of the more-distant OTA viewers of KCWX-DT-5 down here would like/need to have :)

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Iowacane
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I found out they were stacked, and used for Channel 5 audio for use during emergencies as it was 70 plus miles away from the receiving facility.

The antennas are well put together....great construction.

I need to find a truck to get them home now..

pjdyer
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
I assume for the West Palm Beach Ch 5 - an expensive investment rendered useless when WPTV went to Ch 12 for DTV.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Iowacane
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Pat,

You are correct. They are no longer needed because of the transition.

I will put one to good use and find a home for the other.

Juan

Danny
01-27-2013, 10:21 AM
And they are not exactly inexpensive either. These are more for like broadcast use, I think and built to withstand some very nasty weather. You got a good deal!

Mike is correct about Scala.

I have a Finco 10-element channel 2 antenna and a Winegard 10-element channel 5 antenna that are currently in storage, along with my dish. As they are cut for specific channels, their performance on other channels is low compared to "good" low-band and general VHF antennas.

It should do extremely well on channel 5.

pjdyer
01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
That 10-el Ch 2 antenna must have a huge turning radius. Cushcraft made a 10-el 50-MHz Yagi, and even with short-spaced elements (35" apart) it had a 24' boom. N5TX (SK Oct 2011) had two of those stacked on a 50' tower (with a LOT of other items) until a tornado aloft took it all down in Apr 1988 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CA098Bj80 (that tower had only been up since Aug 1984 - the two 6m Yagis had been on their own tower at his prior location c. 1974-1984). Insurance covered it all (including damage from the 7-kv brought into the house via the antenna leads), but I think that they required him to replace his wooden shingle roof with a $20k metal one to continue coverage (on a c. $250k 4000 sq ft house). It had caused an area blackout there in Windcrest making for "upset" residents who later opposed his (granted) tower (re)building permit. He never re-erected such a system there.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Danny
01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Pat, the Finco channel 2 yagi is large, but the CA-5254 VHF antenna is actually a couple of feet longer. The rear elements are about the same width. That is a large turning radius.

I favor very large antennas, but I don't have the room here (with trees, etc) to have more than four antennas up at the same time (without having interaction problems). In fact, I have used only two antennas in recent years. Every year I think about putting the channel 2 antenna or low-band antenna back into action.

Sometimes I think my coodination level is just too low to DX with multiple TVs, VCRs, antenna rotors, etc.

Stories like the one about N5TX make me a little concerned about antennas and storms.

pjdyer
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
I've a 35-mm color shot of the N5TX tower taken in evening twilight in Oct 1985 - the Apr 1988 tornado lifted it and its massive (a couple of cubic yards) concrete base out of the ground like a pulled carrot out of a garden! It then fell away from the house and ended up reclining on the 7-kv lines that feed the transformer for the house. N5TX wanted to take the (largely-undamaged) antennas off the mast but the power company said that would take too long (all those U-bolts, etc). They simply cut their line letting the top of the tower fall the rest of the way to ground and turning the antennas on it to mostly scrap aluminum (I saw a remant pile of that there during a Sep 1989 visit.) :( Then they could quickly get power restored to the area by restringing the line. The ironic thing is that one of the N5TX businesses did maintenance of broadcast and other large towers so he knew well the mechanics of a good installation.

73, Pat - WA5IYX