PDA

View Full Version : TV DX Antenna Question

KB3HEY
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Greetings from snowy Wisconsin. Hope all back east made it through ok after the big blizzard! Have a TV DX antenna question. I have an Wingard FV- HD30 bowtie antenna which I am using indoors. I am very happy with it's performance so far indoors and am looking forward to installing it outside once the weather gets better. From my QTH here in Ellsworth I have been able to log Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and North Dakota stations! Ellsworth is about 40 minutes southeast of the twin cities. My question is when I put the antenna outside which way should I orientate it since I will not be using a rotor? Should I face it in the direction I want to receive the most stations or should it be pointed towards the area I most want to DX?
I know it may sound like a silly question. I would appricate any and all comments.

Thanks,

Bob- KB3HEY

w9wi
02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, you're in a tough location up there as if you aim it southeast where the DX targets are, you'll have the Twin Cities locals off the back...

Is this your only source of TV? (do you have cable or satellite for ordinary non-DX viewing?)

If it's your only source I think I'd think about buying another one & switch between the two. Point one southeast and the other at Minneapolis. (that way, you could also use the Minneapolis antenna for when the band opens to the west)

If you have cable/satellite I'd just leave the one antenna southeast, maybe on a Milwaukee or Chicago heading.

How are you going to mount the antenna? If the pole comes all the way to the ground you may be able to manually rotate the antenna. (by grabbing the pole and turning it!)

Danny
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
How are you going to mount the antenna? If the pole comes all the way to the ground you may be able to manually rotate the antenna. (by grabbing the pole and turning it!)

If you are going to DX, you should certainly consider Doug's suggestion of an "armstrong" rotor.