PDA

View Full Version : HD 5030 is Discontinued FYI

Mike-CT
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I drove up to Starke Electronics in Worcester this morning and bought a Winegard HD-5030 (the old PR-5030). The owner told me they had been discontinued and he might not get any more of them. He has three left, so if you want one, call them and order one. Price is about $60 plus tax if you go there in person.

***AS OF TODAY MARCH 14TH, THEY HAVE SOLD THEM ALL***

NN2E
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Just for grins... I checked the Summit Source website and went through the motions of ordering the HD-5030. When I clicked on order quantity, "1" things were OK. When I changed the order to quantity, "2" I got an "out of stock" notification.

Looks like, when the current VHF antenna (AntennaCraft CS-1100) bites it, I'm gonna have to rebuild one of my old antennas or build one from scratch. I've been toying with a VHF log periodic design just in case I have to build a new one.

73, Ed NN2E
Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds

indysteve
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Good timing on the part of Winegard just as the FCC wants to move a number of current DTV stations from UHF channels to VHF-low and VHF-high channels. <sarcasm off> I had been thinking for some time about picking up the HD-5030. It looks as though I waited too long. Some of the former good and BIG VHF antennas used in areas north of Indy, like Logansport where many viewers in the past had tall towers and huge VHF antennas for Chicago TV, are now so rusted or bent up from weather conditions, especially ice.

Ed, if you still climb towers, there are still a number of decent CM 4251 parabolics still up in the air north of Indy, mostly in the rural areas near Marion, Peru and Wabash, IN. Whenever I'm in that area, I always wonder how many of them are actually still in use.

cd637299
03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Hey then, if the FCC goes thru with more low V's to squeeze in more stations, AND few people have lowband V outdoor antennas to pick up these stations----once Miami gets one or two low V's again, can I charge admission to watch, using my CM 3020? :D just kidding....

cd

Gary Hickerson
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Solid Signal, says, they have the 5030, for $56.99 + $8.95 shipping ! Worth a shot...

gary h.

egrabow
03-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Hey then, if the FCC goes thru with more low V's to squeeze in more stations, AND few people have lowband V outdoor antennas to pick up these stations----once Miami gets one or two low V's again, can I charge admission to watch, using my CM 3020? :D just kidding....

With your luck, those low Vs would be WGEN relays. :banghead: Hope you're not charging for them seperately, lol.

cd637299
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
^ WHICH reminds me....I will start another thread re WGEN!

cd

pjdyer
03-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't trust the Solid Signal folk after ordering a HD5030 on Feb 25th from them (and an FM6), then being told later that day it was on backorder with a 2-3 DAY delay. E-mail to them on Mar 8 re it wasn't answered. Monday I ordered one from Summit Source in Indiana - it arrived Mar 14.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

will62
05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
No doubt if and when we suddenly see a fair number of UHF stations migrate back to VHF channels, the antenna manufacturers will come to their senses and start to market some more VHF only antennas. Winegard also just discontinued the YA 1713. No great loss though since I compared it to a Antennacraft YA 10-7-13 and found the latter antenna had better gain and seemed to reject interference from a co channel a little better.

Robert Grant
05-12-2013, 12:49 AM
OMG, I just looked at the Solid Signal and Winegard websites - their outdoor TV antenna line has been absolutely gutted. Their only all-channel TV antennas left are HUGE.

It's really sad that so many people have though they need a very large antenna for TV. In reality, about 90% of people who could benefit from a TV antenna could use a small all channel antenna (like the discontinued 7010, 7015, or Antennacraft's AC-9), but people didn't buy them, so they stopped making them, so people will try to rely on indoor antennas and conclude that DTV does not work :-(

fm_dxer
05-12-2013, 10:58 AM
"...their outdoor TV antenna line has been absolutely gutted."

More like that old Star Trek Episode: “Operation: Annihilate!” with the marketing of the so called flat wave antennas, which kind of reminds one in a creepy sort of way of those pancake-sized parasitic creatures.
Watch your back Spock!

NN2E
05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
When it comes to antennas, "Huge" is a relative term...

http://www.radioarcala.com/nbspStation/TowersandAntennas/Tower7/tabid/358/Default.aspx

73, Ed NN2E

Gary Hickerson
05-12-2013, 03:15 PM
I see on, Winegard Direct.com, that they list a FVHD45, rated at 45 miles also the HD 7084P (almost 13') for $1.00 LESS @ $88.95 ! They have discontiued, alot of models..

Gary H.

will62
05-12-2013, 07:02 PM
OMG, I just looked at the Solid Signal and Winegard websites - their outdoor TV antenna line has been absolutely gutted. Their only all-channel TV antennas left are HUGE.

It's really sad that so many people have though they need a very large antenna for TV. In reality, about 90% of people who could benefit from a TV antenna could use a small all channel antenna (like the discontinued 7010, 7015, or Antennacraft's AC-9), but people didn't buy them, so they stopped making them, so people will try to rely on indoor antennas and conclude that DTV does not work :-(

I've had better results with Antennacraft over the years. Having owned both Winegard and Antennacraft models in recent years I prefer Antennacraft. Bottom line is they give me better reception than Winegard.

The CS 290 and CCS 1233 and HD 850 or 5884 by Antennacraft cover all channels from 2 to 51 and are still in production. Try one and I think you'll find they are just fine for city and suburban locations. Not too big at all. And the AC-9 is still listed as available at Solid Signal, Summit Electronics and also on the Antennacraft website.

Danny
05-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Will, are you intersted in TV DXing? In general, larger is better for TV DXing.

Robert Grant
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM

By and large (sorry..no pun intended), this is true - to a degree. After a certain point, the benefits of going larger offer diminishing returns as you add yet more boom length and elements.

One case in point was in the Winegard line itself. I was strongly considering ordering an HD-7082P for myself and a 7015 for my father-in-law. The 7082 had a significantly shorter boom length than the 7084, and its directivity and gain were almost equal across the board in comparison with the 7084 (a few channels had 1db less gain and one channel - forget which - about 3db less).

Boom length has been in issue with me. I've had both a 7084 and a Channel Master 3020 on the chimney. In both cases, the "grip" of the rotator's mounting bracket on the antenna mast has worked loose in 1-3 years, causing the antenna to "weather vane" (I can DX any station in whatever direction the wind may be blowing). (I asked my brother, who is not afraid of heights, to run a bolt through the rotator and the mast - but he has always insisted he would have it "tight enough this time"). A larger antenna is also more likely to be damaged by wind and ice, and more likely to break its mast, tripod or mounting straps, not to mention larger antennas are more conspicuous and cost more to ship.

With the compound-boom HD 8200 already at the top of the line, they should have retired the 7084 and kept the 7082 - or even the 7015.

One more note - design may matter as much as size. My 3020 is a large antenna, but it does not perform as well - especially for DXing when more than one station may be on the same channel - as many smaller antennas (such as the CM 3679, Winegard 7084 or 7082). This is because the 3020 is a "V-type" log periodic, rather than a log-periodic-yagi (LPY antenna). I only use the 3020 because, on a May day in 2006, a nearby Lowe's had them in stock (the 3020 has its boom in two sections, allowing the antenna to be shipped and warehoused in a shorter carton).

(Note that since a year ago, most of my E-skip DX is on an LPY - Winegard 6026 lowband-only 6-element, which I installed in the backyard at 13').

will62
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Yep. Did some at my former house the past couple of summers. First time for HDTV. I will be starting it up again when I relocate to my new home in the Cincinnati area which I hope will be by the end of this year. Currently in an apartment and cannot use a decent antenna for DXing right now.

Danny
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Good information, Robert. However, after having used various brands, types, and sizes of TV antennas, I'll stay with the giants.

Danny
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Will, I look forward to reading your TV DX reports in the future.

Danny
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
BTW, my Winegard PR-5040 is a foot or so shorter than my more-expensive CA-5254, yet the 5040 has a little more gain. On the other hand, the small loss in gain is a small trade-off as the 5254 easily beats the 5040 in directivity. This is based on my experience.

Danny
05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
One more note - design may matter as much as size. My 3020 is a large antenna, but it does not perform as well - especially for DXing when more than one station may be on the same channel - as many smaller antennas (such as the CM 3679, Winegard 7084 or 7082). This is because the 3020 is a "V-type" log periodic, rather than a log-periodic-yagi (LPY antenna). I only use the 3020 because, on a May day in 2006, a nearby Lowe's had them in stock (the 3020 has its boom in two sections, allowing the antenna to be shipped and warehoused in a shorter carton).

I'm going to have to defend my good buddy Christopher Dunne's antenna. Chris has done well with his 3020. He has even received F2 from south America and holds the distance record for DTV via tropo.

I had a 150 inch long V/U combo from Radio Shack at one time, and that antenna was similar to the 3020 ("V" elements and all). I received much good TV DX on that antenna (including 1650 mile Es from KTVU-2 Oakland).

cd637299
05-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks Danny. It seems as if my VHF channels could do better sans preamp, but I have no choice but to have it connected. I remember how often I'd get ch 9 Cuba with my old Archer vs. now, but I'm happy (of course) with KENS & the F2.

I remember the night of KENS.....I got bars on VHF, 8 and/or 9, but no decode. I wonder if no-preamp woulda bagged something. I tried for KCWX via tropo as well :D but no bar a'tall. :D

Now, with more V-antennas being phased out, maybe I have to buy insurance for my 3020. ;)

cd

Mike-CT
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
BTW, my Winegard PR-5040 is a foot or so shorter than my more-expensive CA-5254, yet the 5040 has a little more gain. On the other hand, the small loss in gain is a small trade-off as the 5254 easily beats the 5040 in directivity. This is based on my experience.

Assuming that 5040's gain figures aren't inflated by Winegard. Manufacturers have been known to do things like that, including cramming more elements on a boom, claiming 150 mile range, etc. A super-duper fringe 15' long antenna might not be as good as a 12' long antenna with fewer elements but proper element spacing, better design, etc.

NN2E
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Danny hit on an important point a few posts back... Directivity. This is usually a product of the larger antennas. I've logged several DTVs by not aiming at the intended target but, by finding a null on an interfering station thus allowing the DX station to get through. There's more to DXing than just gain.

73, Ed NN2E

cd637299
05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
^ This, I am learning more and more in DTV DX. WRXY 33, pointing right at it, won't get it, due to WTXI-LD here....aim it a li'l north of WRXY, and it's better.

cd

Danny
05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Assuming that 5040's gain figures aren't inflated by Winegard. Manufacturers have been known to do things like that, including cramming more elements on a boom, claiming 150 mile range, etc. A super-duper fringe 15' long antenna might not be as good as a 12' long antenna with fewer elements but proper element spacing, better design, etc.

Mike, the gain is based on my experience comparing the two antennas.

As soon as I put up the 5254, I knew the gain was lower than that of the 5040. It was obvious, too, that directivity was improved over the 5040.

In fact, I used both antennas at the same time (on separate masts) for a couple of years. That gave me a side-by-side comparison. That was back in the days before I used a distribution amp, and I didn't want to split signals.