PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Antennas for LPFM?

N1LF
06-07-2014, 12:39 AM
New to FM DXing, so pardon the newbie questions. I notice that a lot of LPFM stations in my area that are listed in the WTFDA database list their EPR-V but nothing is listed under ERP-H. I assume this is because they're targeting automobiles, and portables, which mainly use vertical whips. Have any DX'ers experimented with vertical polarized Yagis to try to log more of these stations? With most stations running CP would it make sense to mount your primary Yagi in the vertical position?

Les N1LF

k6sti
06-07-2014, 02:59 PM
The latest FCC database lists 0% of LP stations with vertical polarization, 3% with horizontal, and 97% with circular.

Brian

N1LF
06-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Forgive me, I'm new to all this. I was looking at the WTFDA database listing. It shows a listing for ERP-H and ERP-V. I noticed that many of the LPFM stations showed effective radiated power in the vertical plane, but little or none in the horizontal. I assumed that they might use vertical antennas to reduce costs.

I've seen many pirate antennas advertised online that were just 1/4 ground planes, or 5/8 vertical whips, both of which would be vertical polarization, correct? I have one near my house on 88.7 that rebroadcasts Sirius/XM radio (NASCAR or Old Time Radio normally. I did hear some "live" programming, where a male voice identified the station as "88.7 The Husky" which is the name of a local high school team). They are easy copy on my car radio, but nearly invisible on the horizontal Yagi in the attic.

Thanks for the education. Please explain the ERP-V and ERP-H numbers and their significance if you have a few moments.

Les N1LF

The latest FCC database lists 0% of LP stations with vertical polarization, 3% with horizontal, and 97% with circular.

Brian