View Poll Results: Has the 2015 E-Skip Season Been the Worst of the Past Decade?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it has been the worst in ten years.

2 25.00%
  • No, actually one of the better ones here.

4 50.00%
  • It's been poor, but my new SDR receiver has made up for it.

0 0%
  • Poor, but the tropo has been so hot, I hardly noticed.

1 12.50%
  • Worst in ten years? Worst in many more years than that?

1 12.50%
  • Terrible. I plan aliens, ISIS, Hillary Clinton, or Donald Trump.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Worst DX Season of the Past Decade

Post 2015 Worst DX Season of the Past Decade

Please participate in the following poll, where you rate the Summer 2015 E-Skip season has it compares to those of the past ten years. We'll also delve into things like how technology (SDR receivers) and/or tropo propagation might have altered your perception.

It won't fix the drought of E-Skip, but it gives us something to do until December.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
    EM63

We're still in July, I'll wait til end of August for this.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

I don't have enough experience to answer the poll. This is my first year trying for e-skip. I am mainly trying to get the DTVs, and according to my log, all 6 of the DTVs I caught appeared between June 17-23. I've seen a lot of weak analogs after that and weak FM e-skip, but that's the extent of it.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

2012 was definitely the worst DX season of the decade. How do you get by with only 7 new Es logs?
    2015 has been a great year but openings have been mostly spread out through the season. Best logs were KWMV-LP 95.9 Westcliffe, CO 94W, KYSL 93.9 Frisco CO 560W, K242BV 96.3 St. George UT 195W, KYLK 103.7 Okemah, OK 1460 miles, probably others as well. Hoping for more before 2015's season REALLY ends.

-crainbebo
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

I only have 2014 to compare it to so far as FM is concerned. Analog TV is practically gone and digital is zeroes all around for me.

With three good openings this year, June 20 in particular, I think this year was at least as good as last year for me.

Poor, but the tropo has been so hot, I hardly noticed.
    Hahahahahaha! Should've put "but the tropo has been so poor any decent e-skip season would look great by comparison."
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    91 Digital TV ::
    407 FM Stations ::

The 2Es opening between central Mexico and the Northeastern US... That was wild, probably the highlight of the year from an outside perspective. Azteca 13 (likely Cerro Azul) received in upstate New York, and an FM opening to Mexico that resulted in logs (some upwards of 2000 miles) to Chihuahua, Veracruz, Mexico City, Oaxaca and Guanajuato. Not to mention many DXers did well in the southern US on that day.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Here in Poughkeepsie, I would have to say it was pretty good overall... although May was poor, yet the second half of June was terrific. I probably won't see much more Es this year.... it usual tapers off with only small openings after July 15 here in the Northeast. If we could get another full-fledged opening, it would make it a great year.

Some stats: It so happens that right now I have 100 NEW FM logs for 2015, of which 81 are skip. Also 100 was my TOTAL new FM logs for 2014, with 79 via skip.
    As of July 23rd last year (2014).. I had 84 new logs, 77 of which were skip.

2014 was my best year in several, partly due to its being my first summer of retirement. This year is stacking up a little better. Of course I'm just looking at new FM logs here, but that's one good indication.

I've been disappointed with DTV. No new skip logs (unless KNHL-5 counts). Also only eight received all summer, with no KSNB, no Canada, and none of the "good ones" under 750 miles (WGVK, WCYB, WLMB, WBRA). A few years ago I would routinely decode 10 to 12 DTV's via E-skip in a season.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

This is my first year of e-skip, but it hasn't been a terribly exciting one for me. I've only had two FM e-skip days that I've been able to catch, both near the beginning of June, and one opening only pulled one station in before it faded out. I have had some decent tropo (decent for my area, no 1,000 mile tropo here) already this year, maybe August and September will bring in some exotic tropo catches.
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

Les, why didn't you put this in the polling section, where it would get more attention? Things get lost in a hurry in these busy
    DX report sections.

I'll let you know after Labor Day. Mike is correct: it is too early to make a final judgement.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

If there are no more decent openings at all this season, this year will end up worse than 2002 - and, as such, the worst Skip season I've seen in FIFTY YEARS. I am actually comparing to perhaps 43 or 44 seasons, not 50, because for a few seasons in the Seventies I had no wherewithal to be very active, and I missed the ENTIRE 1986 season (due to an Alaska trip) after May 28. In spite of that, 1986 skip season was much better than this, mostly because of a massive Maritimes opening on May 8 or May 9, even including CIOO-100.1 coming through a four-miles-away local. Halifax is 1,430 miles, Charlottetown is 1440, and I had stuff all the way out toward Cape Breton Island 1500+, MUF to 107.5 for hours. As that was my first skip ever in Macomb, it "spoiled" me a little, not to mention some incredible Tropo events unknowingly in store for late in the year.

I don't have all my notes in one place, but I think I'm below 10 new FM's via skip this season. That's pretty horrible, when considering that with so many newbies having come on the air in the past decade, even "mega-pest areas" such as south Florida and New Mexico, NOT TO MENTION EVEN MORE SO NORTHERN MEXICO, and Canada, are simply LOADED with new targets.
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

Thread Information