Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMBA 2 Havana, or not

Default CMBA 2 Havana, or not

Plenty of Cuban TV DX this afternoon...

... Had a 2- (Vid-55.24, Aud-59.74) with Tele Rebelde and a Futbol match. When Futbol ended it IDed with several Sports promos then transitioned to an ESPN feed with a Swim Meet. OK, it's CMBA Havana, no problem, or is it?...

... Here's where it gets odd... I checked the audio/video carrier frequencies, again, and found they were now 2+ (Vid-55.26, Aud-59.76)... (?!)

Did CMBA make a mid-stream offset change?

Did some unknown low power 2+ Tele Rebelde transmitter take the place of CMBA when my back was turned?

(I have, in the past, noticed Cuban signals with a bit of echo / re-verb on them. This could indicate two transmitters, slightly out of time sync, running the same program)

Today, the signal seemed to remain solid during all of this... Weird.

I've got a nice Tele Rebelde ID picture I'll post, later, when my snail-speed dial-up is running a little faster. (It slows down during high-traffic times and picks up speed in the wee hours of the a.m.)

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 01-03-2016 at 04:46 AM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Isn't 2+ CMAK Pinar del Río?
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I wish I had the wherewithal to discern a zero offset from a + or - ....aren't the La Habana stations all zeroes?

BTW I had just caught the tail end of a great opening myself, with Dallas & Houston area; no TV though.

cd

As promised...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 005.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	18439

... Sorry about the large file size of this picture. The program I use for down-sizing pictures seems to have quit working. Might be time to haul this old steam-powered computer to the scrap yard and replace it with one that runs on electricity.

WRH....

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tv-car.htm#CUB

... Has CMAK as a zero offset (with a ?) and CMBA as a minus offset.

If what I heard / saw was a swap, from one tx to another, it was the smoothest transition I've seen.

73, Ed NN2E
    Last edited by NN2E; 01-03-2016 at 04:57 AM.
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Nice signal. I think that's a new logo and it also shows up in the cartelera site I use.

If Cuba's serious on this whole "joining the outside world while maintaining our political system" thing, it might be time for Tele Rebelde to start carrying more sporting events live outside of European soccer. Sometimes they baffle me. On Tuesday 12/29, at 1:32 pm and for one hour and 46 minutes, TR carried an NFL game (Bengals/Cardinals). That game occurred on...November 22. They carried a hockey game on 12/30 (Montreal and Boston) that ran for an hour and 42 minutes — it could have been their meetings on 10/10, 11/7 or 12/9.

Today (1/3) they're offering two hours worth of NBA basketball, a Rockets/Lakers game. I think this is the 12/17 game.

I have no idea why the ICRT does this. It might be to remove advertising. Multivisión seems to be running shows at their actual runtimes (22 minutes for Mike and Molly).

More alarmingly on Multivisión's schedule is Mansión Crawley. If you can guess which show that is, you will also realize that it is running in Cuba before airing in the United States. (They aired the finale on January 1!)
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Earlier in the afternoon I saw a 3z CubaVision that was 40db over S-9 on the Icom R-7000. Wish I could have gotten an ID picture at that time. It looked like a local.

I've been under the impression that Cuba runs whatever programming they can steal. This may not be a fair assessment but it seems so.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

It has been 20 years, but there was another program that I recall as being shown in Cuba prior to being shown in the USA:

It was the Japanese-made animated cartoon Samurai Pizza Cats.

As long as the advertising is removed, I cannot think of any sporting event outside of soccer that T Rebelde would show live from other countries. Their baseball games have brief breaks between innings that seem to go smoothly though.

Yes Ed, nice pic . One has to upload two or more here for the pix to be thumbnails.

cd

Mildly curious about something regarding FM & TV listings for Cuba. Perhaps this is more of a political question than one directly addressing broadcasting in Cuba. Does Cuba and the ICRT NOT want to have connections with the outside world?

The reason I ponder this question - in recent times, I have spent hours digging through Spanish webpages that are related to listings of TV & FM stations in Cuba. My attempt has been to find a recent published list of all the broadcast television stations and broadcast FM stations that operate in Cuba. It seems such lists don't exist!

When I worked on the Emisoras de FM publication (2009), I literally begged the ICRT via email to send a list of their broadcast facilities in Cuba. I repeated an email to them almost every two weeks and close to six months had passed and suddenly, I had an FM list in my email inbox. I could only trust it was fairly accurate. I checked it against listings that could be found on websites for Radio Enciclopedia, Radio Taíno and others. At least those matched. In recent times, I've been watching when dxers in the eastern part of the US report Cuba fm on Es and have noticed since 2009 there have been several logging's of stations that do not correlate to the list I was given. I assume they have either moved stations around or added stations.

One thing I have learned about Cuba FM and how they treat what they consider a broadcast station to be. For a station to *count* as a broadcast station, they must be a full power station and originate their own programming. All of the flea power repeaters are NOT considered to be a real broadcast station. SO - if Radio Taíno has 20 repeaters stretched across the island, the ICRT only counts one station. Radio Taíno is responsible for those repeaters, NOT the ICRT. Kinda curious if they treat all of the repeater TV stations there the same way. With that in mind, IF the broadcaster doesn't bother to list where their local signal can be tuned to, then you have no idea of how many repeaters actually exist.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    Earlier in the afternoon I saw a 3z CubaVision that was 40db over S-9 on the Icom R-7000. Wish I could have gotten an ID picture at that time. It looked like a local.

I've been under the impression that Cuba runs whatever programming they can steal. This may not be a fair assessment but it seems so.

73, Ed NN2E
    Either Santa Clara or Holguín — unfortunately the snazzy maps from LACETEL don't list offsets.

They do seem to have tried to keep a lot of this information secret. My thought is they're being paranoid about "counter-revolutionary" forces using that information.

The U.S. scheme, where each translator is licensed separately, is unusual. Canada & Mexico both have provisions for a single license to include multiple relay transmitters. Even in the U.S., with the digital conversion we now have that. There's only one KRBK - but it has six transmitters. If the owners were to *sell* KRBK, they would be required to sell all six transmitters as a unit. They can't, for example, sell two of them to Fox, three to Nexstar, and keep the sixth.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Thread Information