Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuban digital television transition

Default Cuban digital television transition

Cuba
    Standard: DTMB. Currently being tested by the government.

Switch-off: 2021
    In May 2013, the Cuban Communication Ministry (ICRT) announced the beginning (in June) of tests in Havana to introduce progressively the digital TV in the island using methodology and equipment donated by China. The second week of November 2015, the ICRT & Lacetel officially released the plan for their digital television transition.

Lacetel
    http://www.lacetel.cu/

Lacetel is the official office in charge of overseeing the digital transition in Cuba. All of the channels have been mapped out. Why couldn't we ever had this with analogue TV for Cuba??? To see the DTMB channel assignment list, here it is...
    http://www.lacetel.cu/television-dig...es-utiles.html

What's crazy about the channel lists on the link above, they have maps that show where the transmitters are located and also what the DTMB channel assignment is. IF you love reading stuff about broadcast TV, you are going to love looking at this stuff coming out of Cuba now. Scrolling through the map listings of channel assignments, it appears everything will migrate to high VHF or UHF. What is surprising is some of the pages show up in English, which leads to the suspicion that a third party source that writes English designed certain pages.

I can just see some of the southeastern US dxers wanting to get a DTMB receiver for a chance at catching some Cuban tropo.

Update on information - Lacetel posted a products page on December 18, 2015, showing ALL DTMB capable STB's and DTV's, to date. This list contains reviews and comments of each model. It appears they have tested the models. You can find that page here:
    http://www.lacetel.cu/television-digital/verificacion.html

Since most of these are coming from China, I would venture a guess a US shopper should be able to find these on eBay or similar.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 01-03-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Updated information
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

OK, so there's some more information than when I was doing this back in 2014. They also seem to have put on air several more HD transmitters. That xmitter page even has info on ANALOG stations down to the telecentro in the images by province! We now know that the low-V channels in La Habana come from "Televilla". Pinar del Río's Tele Rebelde comes from the La Capitana site, Boniato provides the low-VHF service to Santiago de Cuba, and Cubavisión on 3 from Santa Clara originates from Loma Dos Hermanas.

No coordinates, but Televilla's received often enough that I dug some up: 23.043575, -82.456314

There seems to be quite a bit of high-V here, more than I would have expected, but then again Cuba is chock-full of Us, particularly for Multivisión.

They also provide reviews of antennas. At least some are domestic in origin ("Fábrica de Antenas de Villa Clara").
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Google Maps may be helpful with some of these. I believe I've located Loma Salón, site of a channel 13 transmitter, at 22.829486N/82.954857W. There are obvious towers (two) at that site.

FWIW I only see three high-VHF sites. It's the "Dirección" column that lists individual transmitters -- more than one "Municipio" may be served by a single transmitter. It appears that they're multiplexing (very common for DTV outside North America) as fewer than a handful of sites have more than one DTV channel.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Looks like Cuba's clearing everything above channel 51, just like us. I'll certainly be getting one of those converter boxes considering my prime location for Havana tropo.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Google Maps may be helpful with some of these. I believe I've located Loma Salón, site of a channel 13 transmitter, at 22.829486N/82.954857W. There are obvious towers (two) at that site.

FWIW I only see three high-VHF sites. It's the "Dirección" column that lists individual transmitters -- more than one "Municipio" may be served by a single transmitter. It appears that they're multiplexing (very common for DTV outside North America) as fewer than a handful of sites have more than one DTV channel.
    I'm not sure how many channels to a mux they are doing. I do know their service has eight TV channels (the analog 5, Cubavisión Internacional, a kids' channel and a music channel) and six radio streams.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Some more recent info on TDT in Cuba:

http://www.cubadebate.cu/noticias/20...-todo-el-pais/

HD tests are coming to additional areas. Salón (Artemisa) 47, Villa Clara 32 and Jacán (Matanzas) 51. Interestingly one of the factors that makes this hard is getting 10 Mb/s Internet service to the transmitters to deliver the HD feed. Notably the HD service is an experimental feed, not a simulcast of another network. (It's evident how behind Cuba is just from that bit. In most countries the "special HD channel" phase has ended.)

In addition the telecentro optouts are starting to appear on digital. On 24 transmitters in six provinces outside of La Habana, telecentros are inserting their programs. They hope to have all telecentros hooked into TDT this year, at least in provincial capitals.

I will be going to Cuba in March. I will actually be staying a few blocks from the Habana Libre. It looks like it has quite a few TV and at least one FM signal from there.

Should be interesting.

Juan Gualda
    Fort Pierce, FL

Juan, if you have time and could do an FM bandscan while there, I would love to get your results. I would like to match a current bandscan with what we have up on the WTFDA FM database.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowacane View Post
    I will be going to Cuba in March. I will actually be staying a few blocks from the Habana Libre. It looks like it has quite a few TV and at least one FM signal from there.

Should be interesting.

Juan Gualda
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The Habana Libre has some interesting stuff. Notably channel 12 is what I would call an "intermittent operation" station carrying a TDT test service in digital and Canal Educativo in analog.

This article from 2011 talks about the replacement of the tower and mentions that 91.7 COCO, 94.9 Radio Ciudad Habana, and 98.3 Radio Metropolitana broadcast from there. Another source says 93.3 Radio Taíno is also there.

I'll be happy to.
    I'll be staying in Vedado, near the US embassy. The casa where I'm staying has a tv as well, so I'll do an AM, FM and TV bandscan. I'll still be close to the Habana Libre so there may be some intermod issues. I'm planning on using the Kaito for FM and the Sangean PRD5 for AM.

Thread Information