Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuban digital television transition

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    The Habana Libre has some interesting stuff. Notably channel 12 is what I would call an "intermittent operation" station carrying a TDT test service in digital and Canal Educativo in analog.

This article from 2011 talks about the replacement of the tower and mentions that 91.7 COCO, 94.9 Radio Ciudad Habana, and 98.3 Radio Metropolitana broadcast from there. Another source says 93.3 Radio Taíno is also there.
    Just to update, a reminder that RCiudad moved to 94.7 since that time. I strongly suspect that this was due to R Marti briefly using 94.7. There is also a Taino on 94.7 from parts unknown.

And Juan, just a reminder, any info on the power used for 104.7 Mayabeque and/or QTH of that non-Guantanamo 530 Rebelde would be much appreciated!

cd

I just returned from Havana for the third time and I finally got to see digital TV. I think it was canal 48 from the Habana Libre, received at a restaurant in Vedado. It was standard definition and was carrying the usual Cuban tv channels packed onto one digital channel. I kept watch when they would change channels but they were busy and I didn't want to ask them to "play" with the TV. Picture was typical SD but with no static or ghosting typical of Cuban TV, even close.

When I return I hope to ask more questions of the Restaurant staff. I also took a picture of the decoder and antenna, but it is on another phone but I will post later. I wish I was able to take a pic of the channel grid when they switched channels.

Juan
    Fort Pierce, FL

You must be "Juan" in a million, getting go to Cuba! Can I get you to do a FM band scan for me, the next time you are there? I would like to verify some stations that are *suppose* to be on the air in the Habana region.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Jim, I jotted down most, but every time I go I seem to get some from outside of Havana. Any in particular you are wondering about ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_123859.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	644.7 KB 
ID:	20076

Digital TV receiver and antenna at Paladar in Vedado, Havana.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowacane View Post
    Jim, I jotted down most, but every time I go I seem to get some from outside of Havana. Any in particular you are wondering about ?
    Perhaps you could go to the WTFDA FM db and pull up the list of Cuban stations and print out a list of the Habana area stations to take with you. You can sort by province (type in province abbreviation) and output to text for a printed copy. There are too many stations I would like to verify if they are actually on the air. You could post your results here or PM me the next time you have been there and let me know you have a list that you could possibly email to me.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowacane View Post
    I just returned from Havana for the third time and I finally got to see digital TV. I think it was canal 48 from the Habana Libre, received at a restaurant in Vedado. It was standard definition and was carrying the usual Cuban tv channels packed onto one digital channel. I kept watch when they would change channels but they were busy and I didn't want to ask them to "play" with the TV. Picture was typical SD but with no static or ghosting typical of Cuban TV, even close.

When I return I hope to ask more questions of the Restaurant staff. I also took a picture of the decoder and antenna, but it is on another phone but I will post later. I wish I was able to take a pic of the channel grid when they switched channels.

Juan
    Fort Pierce, FL
    My kingdom for a DTMB CECB....ASAP....OK? (LOL)

CD----err cd

Jim, I will do that for sure. I just saw a reply to a post a year ago where I said I would do a bandscan. I need to find a quiet spot away from the Habana Libre hotel and jot down what I hear. This time I'll do it.

Juan

Jim,

I am almost positive there is no 89.5 in Habana. I just checked the list and everything else looks correct. I also heard a lot more stations , for instance 103.1 RHC but I am not sure where it is from.

In my recent DXploits, I haven't heard a thing outta Cuba below 90.1 in ages, not counting ch 6 audio, natch. Enciclopedia in Santa Clara used to be on 88.7 (mono IIRC) but now on 102.3. The 90.1 was a Radio 26 in Matanzas.

cd

Thread Information