Thread: New Log 1/17/16: WSPD Toledo, OH

Default New Log 1/17/16: WSPD Toledo, OH

While going to the store today with a friend, I decided to do some DXing on the carradio while he drove. I was pleased to log WSPD, Toledo, OH here in Springfield, MO. As far as I know, this is my first-ever reception of this station. Looks like a 5000 KHz news station, 600 miles distant from where I heard it. Seems it was coming in a little early, at 4:00 central time. It was not a powerful signal, so I was happy to catch the TOTH id, "News Radio 1370 WSPD."

Cool. I have fond memories of the days when they were full service/AC with Kahn stereo, and I used two radios to hear AM stereo for the first time. WSPD also marked the origin a what would become a huge media empire (Storer, which would go on to have several major market network affiliate TV stations and many Cable franchises)

If you heard them before 4:30 central, they should have been 5kW omnidirectional. After that time, you only get the rough equivalent of what a 1kW station would send out.

Skywave on AM starts to emerge some time before the actual sunset (which is why some stations have lower power levels, or even different directional patterns, for what are called "critical hours").
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Thanks for sharing your memories of the station! This time of year, midday, I'll get somewhat distant (though powerful) stations. For instance, around noon yesterday, I heard KXEL 1540 Waterloo down here in Springfield. Not a difficult log, especially with local KLFJ at 1550, with its commercial loop for Branson, off the air.

Thread Information