Thread: Unknown DTV Signal WG9XGV

Default Unknown DTV Signal WG9XGV

I'm currently not home to verify what is being broadcast on this unknown channel. My antenna is aiming southwest, and I can't rotate the VHF antenna. I wonder if it's more ATSC 3.0 testing from Cleveland, but I'm not sure. Should I count it as a new log?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG9XGV.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	18502
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

The callsign belongs to the National Association of Broadcasters and in 2013-14 was associated with an ATSC DTV repeater test centered around the Potomac Mills Mall in Woodbridge, Virginia, but not now...

"This STA is requested in conjunction with the ongoing work by the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) to develop the next-generation TV standard (ATSC 3.0). The facility requested in this STA will be used to test the various components being proposed for the new standard, in particular those related to use of VHF frequencies, as well as allowing for a comparison to the existing standard. In order to conduct a meaningful field test it is necessary to deploy a full scale system.

The proposed facility will operate on channel 9 (186-192 MHz) with a non-directional antenna and an effective radiated power (ERP) of 10 kW. The antenna to be utilized is a Harris Model TAB-3H and is currently the authorized auxiliary antenna for WJW channel 8 Cleveland, OH who has agreed to allow the use of their auxiliary antenna for this project. The antenna is side mounted (179 m AGL) on an existing registered tower (ASR: 1054608) with an overall height of 266 m AGL."

So this signal is in Cleveland.

You really should contact the NAB research department as they are likely to have more information (or would be interested to hear of your reception perhaps?).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I got photos. It is broadcasting Oregon Public broadcasting on the three channels. It is indeed an ATSC 3.0 test channel originating from Cleveland.

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	18503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	18504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	18505
    Andrew

That is an amazing catch. Never would have thought Oregon Public Broadcasting would have supplied the test material!
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I figured as much that it was an ATSC 3 test.WG9XGV indicates an experimental station (the X immediately following the number), and Cleveland has been home to another ATSC 3 test site. Good, they're running a test station on VHF-Hi. I hope they do the same for VHF-Lo before the standard is finalized.
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

Quote Originally Posted by kc9hzn View Post
    I figured as much that it was an ATSC 3 test.WG9XGV indicates an experimental station (the X immediately following the number), and Cleveland has been home to another ATSC 3 test site. Good, they're running a test station on VHF-Hi. I hope they do the same for VHF-Lo before the standard is finalized.
    I wasn't aware of these plans to do further testing of ATSC 3.0. Last year, testing was done on RF 31 here locally in the Cleveland/Akron market. But I thought that was all they had planned. I came across this when I looked at my autologger this morning and noticed the signal while I was away. I'm adding this as a new log.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    I got photos. It is broadcasting Oregon Public broadcasting on the three channels. It is indeed an ATSC 3.0 test channel originating from Cleveland.

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	18503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	18504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	18505
    I was running an OTA scan at work when I caught the 3 OPB channels. This was around noon that day. as quick as the signal was there it was gone, or they switched from ATSC 1.0 to 3.0 (unless 3.0 is downward compatible with current receivers).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I was running an OTA scan at work when I caught the 3 OPB channels. This was around noon that day. as quick as the signal was there it was gone, or they switched from ATSC 1.0 to 3.0 (unless 3.0 is downward compatible with current receivers).
    It's not — not even the same modulation scheme, which is a very good thing as OFDM allows for SFNs, better mobile reception and less interference.

Thread Information