Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial AM Cheating Thread

If you haven't already read it...

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?5089-Wthq-750

... read down to post #23. It's a good summary of the status of AM radio - the FCC - inside the beltway.

fwiw... 750 is still dead. 98.3 still has no top tower light.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Per my Facebook group "I Love AM Radio", one poster indicates WYBT 1000 Blountstown, Florida (5kw day only) is on late, due to equipment problems. The engineer knows though, so catch them while you can. They were recently heard in Michigan. They have an oldies/classic rock format according to the wonderful source of Wikipedia.
    Justin W. - Blaine, Minnesota (EN35)
    Most used radios in order: Sony XDR-F1HD, Subaru Impreza Factory radio with RDS (not stock antenna though), Grundig G8, or Grundig S350.
    DTV dx: Insignia Tuner that everyone else has.
    DTV dx2: Vizio 24" DTV built in 2011 (hooked to Insignia).
    DTV dx3: Emerson 40" DTV built in August of 2015.
    FM Antenna: 4 Element Beam similar to the FM-6 just missing two elements.
    TV Antenna: RCA Suburban VHF-HI/UHF on the same mast as the FM antenna.

I guess that explains how I got WYBT last week (I posted in the AM area about it). It was a pretty weak signal for me, but, thanks to internet streaming, could ID it.

I had WYBT during lunch break on car radio a month ago with "On and On" by Stephen Bishop then into ID (I work evenings). Small as Blountstown is, I would have to assume they run some satellite; so having ID was important.

cd

In response to the first post here, the station I am at has problems being only on the streams and not fm, in fact right now we are online but not the fm, I wouldn't see why they would do that even for an fm simulcast. But the fcc just seems to not care, we've had at least 15 times profanity went out and, 2 in the same day, and we have a dump button but it didn't work. I wonder if it'll get so bad something will have to be done with the cheaters.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Daytime-only WSYW 810, Indianapolis, IN was still on the air this hour at 7 p.m. EST even though local sunset time for today was 6:22 p.m. Plus, I find it interesting that its TOH ID states, "WSYW, Beech Grove/Indianapolis." The FCC listing states simply Indianapolis. WSYW's sister station, WNTS 1590, is licensed to Beech Grove, IN, on the southeast side of Indy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSYW
    http://radio-locator.com/info/WSYW-AM http://www.pescador810.com/

As for WSYW 810 continuing to stay on the air way past local sunset, I did get this reply from a former GM of WSYW......

"We followed the rules when I was there. They do have pre sunrise tied to WGY sunrise. I thought they had received post sunset a couple of years ago when I heard them on at night and I had a client who wanted to buy a block of time. Found out from an engineer that was not the case and that the station seemed to be disregarding the rules. Shortly after that, they were following the correct times. Sounds like they are disregarding the rules again. That engineer is not there any more." Info regarding WGY. http://fccinfo.com/CMDProFacLookup.p...ll+Sign+Search

^ Hey, although maybe not quite related,.....

Are there still any official AM "limited time" stations left? That is, those who can operate until sunset at the location of the dominant western station, or can sign on at the sunrise of the dominant Eastern one?

The old Vane Jones books had a few; I believe that maybe WMBI 1110 Chicago is the only one left to qualify---and, sunset in Omaha cannot be much later than sunset in Chicago....

cd

WPAD 1560 Paducah, KY used to go through several pattern / power / sunrise / critical hours / sunset gyrations to protect other stations on 1560. Things have changed but my internet connection is so poor I'm unable to check the FCC site to see what it's current parameters are. I believe, now, it's just barely on air in order to qualify for running an FM translator on 99.5.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    WPAD 1560 Paducah, KY used to go through several pattern / power / sunrise / critical hours / sunset gyrations to protect other stations on 1560. Things have changed but my internet connection is so poor I'm unable to check the FCC site to see what it's current parameters are. I believe, now, it's just barely on air in order to qualify for running an FM translator on 99.5.

73, Ed NN2E
    1 kW, .035 kW night and critical hours. They used to be 10 day (with 2 towers)/1 (with 3 towers) or 5 (with 4 towers) night. The power cut also allowed them to go to one tower for all operations.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thanks for the info, Rayme...

WPAD used to be a great sounding station back in the days when it was running 10KW daytime. As with so many AMers it eventually ground to a halt. They had a series of issues with the 10KW transmitter / tower tuning networks. I'd have to call them, occasionally, and report their tx was going crazy and wiping out the 160M Ham band. They, in turn, used to call me looking for tx parts. How sad is it when a commercial AM station is calling a local Ham op for help with their tx. I'm not surprised it's down to a single tower KW day / 35W night.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thread Information