Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Unofficial AM Cheating Thread

The authorized facility is:

- 10,000 watts into a 2-tower directional antenna daytime.
    - 1,000 watts into a 3-tower directional antenna from Paducah sunset until Bakersfield (CA) sunset.
    - 5,000 watts into a 4-tower directional antenna from Bakersfield sunset until Paducah sunrise.

They have a STA to use the 1,000-watt/3-tower facility 24/7, and a construction permit to take three towers down and operate non-directionally with 1,000 watts daytime & 35 watts at night. Which is indeed enough to qualify for a translator

Chris: I'm not sure how you tell whether a station is limited time anymore. I think the 750 and 780 stations in Nebraska are limited time but can't prove it. One element of a "limited time" license was that you were allowed to use any nighttime hours the "dominant" station didn't use. Not really relevant today with every Class A station operating 24/7, but back when most stations had occasional scheduled silent periods it might have been useful.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

^ Yes although not a limited-timer, WRTH used to report the former daytimer KGBS 1020 Los Angeles (now 24h KTNQ) operating early Monday mornings when KDKA was off. Never caught that LA though. I think they only had the one pattern (meant for daytime use) back then.

cd

Now for something completely different...

An FM "cheater"? Possibly....

We drove up to Ocala yesterday (still there as I write); and on the way, went thru Avon Park, where W298BU "Kiss 107.5" operates. It is a translator of AM 1390 WFHT. Only one little problem:

1390 was not on!

I was told by a member of WTFDA that you cannot be a translator of a station that is not there. It is not an LPFM, as it exceeds 100 watts. True, the AM might be having issues. However, that 1390 has been on and off for three years now! I pass their studios along US 27 on every trip.

cd

If the AM station is Class D ("daytimer", WFHT is) then the rules allow the translator to operate if the AM has operated in the last 24 hours.

It sounds like you're suggesting it's been longer than 24 hours since WFHT has been on the air
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I suppose that WFHT is running then, just enough during a 24 hour period to qualify. To clarify, it was about 3:15 pm on Tuesday Feb 16 that I noticed this.

I don't know anybody in Sebring/Avon Park area to check for me. I did see a ham operator in Avon Park on one of the ham sites; would like to keep in touch with someone in the area---not just to monitor 1390 but also the FM/TV DX seems good, especially Es in summer, when we go through there.

Also AM 1050 WJCM is one of the last stations to play pre Beatles pop. However they are very strict in what they play. See www.cohanradiogroup.com

cd

Forgot to mention...On the way home from Ocala on Friday at 4:05ish pm, still no sign of 1390 WFHT---we went right thru Avon Park/Sebring.

Does this mean that they can run 1390 for 10 seconds per day, and all will be well? Shrug

cd

Thread Information