Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan DTV Tropo

Mtburb (or, Matt), you need to get on flea-bay and buy a Zenith or Insignia box. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're serious about DTV dxing, you need something so you can SEE the signals there. The way you are doing it, I'll bet you're only getting 10% of what might be coming in. FYI.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

A few surprising relogs on this second morning of spring...WNEM Bay City, MI and the soon-to-shut-down WCMZ Flint, MI; plus a new subchannel affiliation has taken place at and a new logo for WPTA Fort Wayne, IN since the last time I logged WPTA...all the way back in 2015!

Not attached are a few other things that happened this morning as follows: a brief pictureless-and-audioless relog of WEWS, a relog of WHTV and a weird-character decode (but no PSIP info ever decoded) on RF12 with the antenna pointing north, possibly WJRT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-1 Bay City March 21 2017.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	701.5 KB 
ID:	20064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21-1 Fort Wayne March 21 2017.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	668.2 KB 
ID:	20065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21-2 Fort Wayne March 21 2017.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	576.7 KB 
ID:	20066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21-3 Fort Wayne March 21 2017.jpg 
Size:	560.3 KB 
ID:	20067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28-3 Flint March 21 2017.jpg 
Size:	746.5 KB 
ID:	20068
    DTV States and Provinces
    1. MI: WDIV, 06/01/2015
    2. OH: WEWS, 08/15/2015
    3. IN: WANE, 12/05/2015
    4. PA: KDKA, 01/15/2017

1. ON: CICO-DT-32, 06/01/2015

DTV Tropo Distance Record: KDKA Pittsburgh, PA, 01/15/2017, 202 miles

There was some activity yesterday after thunderstorms blew through. All were relogs but I did manage to reinsert WEYI Saginaw into the TV's internal data after it was overwritten by WBNX Akron in another tropo earlier this month. WHTV Jackson and WCMZ Flint relog photos included for historical purposes as those stations are signing off permanently within the next couple months. WUPW Toledo surprisingly came in perfectly for a while, as I have only gotten picture signals from that station once or twice before even though their transmitter's about 35 miles from my house.

Do note that WEYI-DT2 is actually a simulcast of WBSF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-1 Cleveland Apr 19 2017.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	615.5 KB 
ID:	20168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18-1 Jackson Apr 19 2017.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	20169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-1 Saginaw Apr 19 2017.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	567.4 KB 
ID:	20170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-2 Saginaw Apr 19 2017.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	598.9 KB 
ID:	20171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28-1 Flint Apr 19 2017.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	670.1 KB 
ID:	20172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-1 Toledo Apr 19 2017.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	912.2 KB 
ID:	20173
    DTV States and Provinces
    1. MI: WDIV, 06/01/2015
    2. OH: WEWS, 08/15/2015
    3. IN: WANE, 12/05/2015
    4. PA: KDKA, 01/15/2017

1. ON: CICO-DT-32, 06/01/2015

DTV Tropo Distance Record: KDKA Pittsburgh, PA, 01/15/2017, 202 miles

Nice stuff Matt... I know that the repacking will make it possible for me to finally see WEYI here in Akron. Currently, that's not possible with WBNX in the way. But then again, anything is possible when the tropo is strong enough. I've had WHTV decode over local WQHS. There should be some nice DX opportunities opening up once the stations that sold go off the air.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

I agree with Jim (also not to sound rude). You're getting barely-DX signals that are really close to home. You need a bit of an equipment upgrade or a better way of DXing to get actual DX that is more post-worthy. Granted once analog disappeared, DTV catches here in West Michigan were pretty much non-existent, I can see how and why you're getting only so close to home, but I think you could do better in your area.
    [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Lake inversion DX, coastal tropo, Korean and coastal Chinese FM, RDS database, and bandscans at http://www.beaglebass.com/dx • Tuner: Samsung Yepp Q2 MP3 player & Grundig G8 • Location: Seoul, Korea (530 mi. ne of Shanghai) • Home DX sites: City Beach, Grand Haven, Mich.; Kruse & Père Marquette Beach, Muskegon, Mich.; Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Stearns Park Beach, Ludington, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Actually I mentioned punching in the RF channel, as in "##-", then waiting for something to pop up (weird characters upon first punching it in, the channel box disappearing for a couple seconds before reappearing and disappearing again with a "no signal" box then appearing (that's called a near-signal detection) etc.). Sometimes the PSIP info may show up that way and sometimes when that happens video pops up too.
    I'm just curious Matt. Do you have ANY WAY to watch signals on a specific channel and see if there is a sub-DECODE on that channel? IF you punch numbers in on a remote without really knowing if anything is there, sounds like you are just spinning your wheels. What kind of antenna are you using? And I guess 202 miles is STILL your tropo distance record after almost one year of DTV dxing? I came from an FM dxing background and when I decided to go DTV dxing only, in my first three months my tropo distance record was over 500 miles. In warmer weather, I can average 250-300 miles re-logging stations. Your Michigan weather can't be much different from my Missouri weather for tropo conditions when its warm. Actually, I think the Lakes region helps you out. I still think you are missing out on a lot of DTV dx. I think your logbook should have over 300 stations in it already. Just my opinion.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

I remember when I first started out with FM DXing it took me a while, if you can say that, as it was about 1 month IIRC to break 200mi. I just had a wire on a broomstick that was zip-tied to a pole ,and I got 300mi tropo with it.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    I think your logbook should have over 300 stations in it already. Just my opinion.
    300 DTV stations in a couple of years? Seriously? From smack in the middle of a major market metro? Maybe you got 300 stations and 500 miles quickly, but in a congested area like Matt's, where a lot of locals also wipe out adjacent channels, that's ridiculous. I've been DTV DXing for 8 years (almost to the day) and have a grand total of 286 logs. and that's in an area with only 2 powerful locals. It IS very helpful to have a tuner that shows signals that are not strong enough to decode, so you know something's there and wait for a possible decode. Many DXers favor the Zenith DTT-901, or its Best Buy clone Insignia NS-DXA1.... available used on EBay for around $20.-$25...make sure you get the remote! It hooks into any TV (Analog or HD), but your picture quality will be only SD.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

I think DX is any station you don't normally receive.

If you're listening from some mountain peak in the Navajo Nation, 200 miles probably isn't DX. If you're in Central Park, anything from more than 40 miles away is awesome DX.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Thanks Chris for the clarification for how close Matt is to the Detroit market. I didn't realize that Wyandotte was only 10 miles (SW) from most of Detroit's full power DTV's. I suppose if I lived in a major market like that, I would have a difficult time getting dx. All the more reason to use some type of tuner that will let you *see* what signal might be on open channels. Perhaps 300 is unrealistic and is more like a goal to be achieved. I can see with all the major markets in that area, if you don't have to contend with *overload* from local signals, it might be possible to add to the totals.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Thread Information