Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extreme tropo

Default extreme tropo

We love it when Bill Hepburn's tropo maps are full of bright colors.

All day today the recorder ran on 93.9 with antenna pointed at Texas. Primary signal was KMXR Corpus Christi. Between 10:45 and 12:30 a Mexican made it through. Tough to get an ID but managed to catch enough for XHVD Allende, Coahuila 6kw 867 miles. While driving at lunch this station was swapping with KMXR every few feet down the road. Pulled into a parking spot by the deli, move forward a foot, lose it, move back a foot.... people must have thought I was crazy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy KW4RZ Fort Walton Beach, Florida panhandle EM60

"XHVD FM 93.9 es el espacio ideal para tu publicidad..." Great catch!
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Great timing on the ID Randy. Many times it's all about timing.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

Very nice! I couldn't help but notice the map, myself. I knew the Hepburn maps went up to at least 12, a tropo index of 12 happens at least a few times a year in the Gulf of Mexico. (And even a 12 is some crazy tropo!) I had no idea it went up to 13! Anyone ever see a 14 on it?
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

Congrats on catching XHVD, Randy! It's even a somewhat rare logging here in S.A. On the 15th when you caught the station, it was just booming in here.

The 15th really was an awesome day for gulf tropo. That morning I logged new stations from AL, MS, and your home state: 107.3 WRGV in Pensacola at 662 miles. WRGV was running an ad for the Alexander Shunnarah law firm in Pensacola that included references to 107.3 KISS FM. More ads followed, along with the weather forecast and a Gwen Stefani song - all matching the station's iHeart Radio stream (the link below is a recording of the first minute or so).

https://soundcloud.com/zzzimbob/1073-wrgv

Also, that morning I logged my first NOAA weather station from out of state - WXL72 in Demopolis, AL, on 162.475 at 665 miles. The reception was brief and via earbuds (on my CC Skywave), so I don't have a recording. I heard local observations for Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Columbus before the station got covered up by semi-local WNG641.

That is a good one, Randy... 867 miles from a 6KW FMer is some really great tropo.

As for people thinking you're crazy... You should have seen the looks I got when I used to go 2M FM hill-topping... Had stacked, 5 element, beams set up next to the car... People would drive by and point at 'the crazy man with the antennas' and, occasionally, the Police would show up.

March 15th was also an excellent day for tropo, here in KY. Had DTVs from Dallas (565 mi), Houston (645 mi) and San Antonio (770 mi).

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    That is a good one, Randy... 867 miles from a 6KW FMer is some really great tropo.

As for people thinking you're crazy... You should have seen the looks I got when I used to go 2M FM hill-topping... Had stacked, 5 element, beams set up next to the car... People would drive by and point at 'the crazy man with the antennas' and, occasionally, the Police would show up.

March 15th was also an excellent day for tropo, here in KY. Had DTVs from Dallas (565 mi), Houston (645 mi) and San Antonio (770 mi).

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Yes nice work Randy. This was in a car radio? Nothing like "sweet spot" DXn. I once did that at a former workplace parking lot to get a Cuban on 91.7. Co-workers gave me the stare.

Ed---my pastor likes to say "been there, done that, got the t-shirt." Cops would come every now and then. One saw my setup in the lower FL Keys with TV, saw the Cuba station, and said "Cool!"

cd

That's incredible distance, and with only 6 kW, that makes it even more amazing.

After monitoring tropo for over a year now, I've noticed some typical tropo behaviors. If you live in an area that looks like these spots, then chances are, you'll do well...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	18683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ocean.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	18684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	18685

...flat open land, big bodies of water, or on top a hill. The first photo I took out in western Ohio where it's completely flat. The third photo is one of my favorite mobile DX spots here in northeast Ohio.

My best FM tropo ever received was 580 miles and on a hill clear of obstructions, and I wasn't using a fancy antenna, just the car antenna...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car Antenna.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	18686
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Andrew,

Your roof mounted car AM/FM mini-stick helix antenna is not efficient due to it's 9.5" fiberglass rod. Car manufactures ten years ago have
    made the decision to dramatically shrink the size of the antenna to reduce manufacturing cost, ease of assembly and wind resistance.
    Modern manufactures opted using shark fin antenna with a antenna length that is a little over 2" making the efficiency even worse. To
    make up that loss they use a dual band amplifier in the base dome. If you had a classic stainless steel three section telescoping mast
    antenna fully extended at 57" then your reception would significantly increase on both AM/FM.

Mike Schaffer
    KA3JAW
    Easton, PA
    FN20jq
    GACTVDX

Quote Originally Posted by GACTVDX View Post
    Andrew,

Your roof mounted car AM/FM mini-stick helix antenna is not efficient due to it's 9.5" fiberglass rod. Car manufactures ten years ago have
    made the decision to dramatically shrink the size of the antenna to reduce manufacturing cost, ease of assembly and wind resistance.
    Modern manufactures opted using shark fin antenna with a antenna length that is a little over 2" making the efficiency even worse. To
    make up that loss they use a dual band amplifier in the base dome. If you had a classic stainless steel three section telescoping mast
    antenna fully extended at 57" then your reception would significantly increase on both AM/FM.

Mike Schaffer
    KA3JAW
    Easton, PA
    FN20jq
    GACTVDX
    Mike, I don't doubt that this antenna is inferior to the older, full-height metal rod antennas you'd see on cars. It seems to perform particularly bad in my area which is too close to the FM towers. The radio overloads tremendously, and weaker signals are basically wiped out. I wonder if that has to do with the amplifier, which is supposed to compensate for the crappy antenna. But we all know that an amplifier doesn't compensate for a piece of crap antenna. My point in the above post shows that even this really crappy antenna was able to receive 580-mile FM tropo in a good spot. See video here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byegjfMRKrc
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Thread Information