Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WJLI 98.3 tx site

Default WJLI 98.3 tx site

Just got back from the WJLI 98.3 Metropolis, IL (tx in Golo, KY) transmitter site...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 009.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	18701

Name:	Pictures 014.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	18699

Name:	Pictures 008.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	906.2 KB 
ID:	18700

...The transmitter has been off air / running low power for a couple of days. Had to put the truck in four-wheel-drive to reach the tx building. I passed Lewis and Clark on my way in and gave them directions to the Northwest Passage. The tx building was wide open and it appeared some work was being done at the site but nobody was there. I guess the techs were on their lunch break. The power amp was shut down and just the exciter was running. Probably running only a handful of watts.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-14-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Out of curiosity, I had to look up WJLI, and I noticed it's one of those 100,000 watters. Luckily there aren't any blowtorches around here like that. And I'm pretty sure there aren't supposed to be due to the DMAs being too close together in this part of the country. WQXK 105.1 is one exception at 88,000 watts, but that's about 40 miles away and doesn't overload here.

Anyways, I'm surprised you were able to get that close as there are usually "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Ed,

Are they related to one of your favorite, well-run/engineered stations, WRIK-AM?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    Out of curiosity, I had to look up WJLI, and I noticed it's one of those 100,000 watters. Luckily there aren't any blowtorches around here like that. And I'm pretty sure there aren't supposed to be due to the DMAs being too close together in this part of the country. WQXK 105.1 is one exception at 88,000 watts, but that's about 40 miles away and doesn't overload here.
    Ohio is in Zone I. In this area, only Class A, B1, and B stations are available. Power limits for these classes are 6,000 watts/100m; 25,000 watts/100m; and 50,000 watts/150m respectively. (higher antennas are allowed with corresponding reductions in power)

The framework of those rules was established in 1964. WQXK presumably signed on before 1964, at a time when the FCC would authorize any power level that wouldn't interfere with anything.

WJLI's transmitter is located in Kentucky, which is in Zone II. In this zone, you can't get a B1 or B but you can get a C, C0, C1, C2, or C3. These limits are 100,000w/600m; 100,000w/450m; 100,000w/300m; 50,000w/150m; and 25,000w/100m respectively. (you can also get a 6,000w/100m Class A)

And yes, the classes available are determined by the location of the transmitter, not the city of license. WJLI's city of license is in Illinois, where a Class C1 shouldn't be possible. Placing the transmitter in Kentucky makes C1 possible. There's a C0 station licensed to Ohio -- WNKE New Boston. (formerly WPAY-FM Portsmouth) The WNKE transmitter is also located in Kentucky, and thus is eligible for C0 status.

You're right that the closer proximity of the markets in the northeastern part of the country is the reason for the zone difference. Zone I is roughly the area north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi, and south of Syracuse. A second Zone IA covers most of California. There's a map on Wikipedia.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Andrew... If there were any, "No Trespassing" signs they disappeared into the undergrowth many years ago. The creek / driveway / swamp used to access the site makes sure that you really have to be determined to get into the site.

Antennanut... As far as I know WJLI is owned by the same 'duct tape & fence wire' outfit that owns WRIK AM, which, last I checked, is still off air. However, due to my, "It's so slow it's almost running backwards" internet connection I haven't done any research on WJLI's current ownership.

The WJLI tx site is what I'd call a typical, "run it until it drops dead" tx site. It's obvious the words, "preventive maintenance" do not exist within the ownership of this station. I can't remember the last time I saw the tower with all of it's marker lights operational.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Ohio is in Zone I. In this area, only Class A, B1, and B stations are available. Power limits for these classes are 6,000 watts/100m; 25,000 watts/100m; and 50,000 watts/150m respectively. (higher antennas are allowed with corresponding reductions in power)

The framework of those rules was established in 1964. WQXK presumably signed on before 1964, at a time when the FCC would authorize any power level that wouldn't interfere with anything.

WJLI's transmitter is located in Kentucky, which is in Zone II. In this zone, you can't get a B1 or B but you can get a C, C0, C1, C2, or C3. These limits are 100,000w/600m; 100,000w/450m; 100,000w/300m; 50,000w/150m; and 25,000w/100m respectively. (you can also get a 6,000w/100m Class A)

And yes, the classes available are determined by the location of the transmitter, not the city of license. WJLI's city of license is in Illinois, where a Class C1 shouldn't be possible. Placing the transmitter in Kentucky makes C1 possible. There's a C0 station licensed to Ohio -- WNKE New Boston. (formerly WPAY-FM Portsmouth) The WNKE transmitter is also located in Kentucky, and thus is eligible for C0 status.

You're right that the closer proximity of the markets in the northeastern part of the country is the reason for the zone difference. Zone I is roughly the area north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi, and south of Syracuse. A second Zone IA covers most of California. There's a map on Wikipedia.
    Based on the above here, I have a feeling that I gave somebody bad info. I thought that due to Docket 80-90 or some similar thing, any FM station can increase power anywhere (like upgrading to a C0) as long as spacing will allow, or, there are no complaints of QRM from other stations.

So then I would assume that the transmitter for 106.9 in Suffolk VA is located in NC. How else could it be 100 kW? I am disappointed now if that is the case. It was the first "VA" FM I caught via Tropo in 2009.

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    So then I would assume that the transmitter for 106.9 in Suffolk VA is located in NC. How else could it be 100 kW? I am disappointed now if that is the case. It was the first "VA" FM I caught via Tropo in 2009.

cd
    The transmitter is in Virginia, not North Carolina... http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WAFX-FM

The US Broadcast Zone boundary seems to slice right through southern Virginia... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cast_zones.png

Either it's outside the stricter boundary or it was grandfathered in with a higher power.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

According to Radio-Locator, WAFX-106.9 is a Class C 100kw with tower in Virginia. Since Class C's are only allowed in Zone II, the transmitter is in Zone II. It is not a grandfathered situation. Great catch cd by the way.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

As usual, I shot off my keyboard/mouth before I took the time to peek at Radio-Locator. Indeed the transmitter is in VA. Distance is about 770 miles, my farthest Tropo of any kind to the north. Thanks folks.

BTW this was because at the time, my local 106.7 had no HD. Such is not the case today; so WAFX will be a challenge now!

cd

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    Antennanut... As far as I know WJLI is owned by the same 'duct tape & fence wire' outfit that owns WRIK AM, which, last I checked, is still off air. However, due to my, "It's so slow it's almost running backwards" internet connection I haven't done any research on WJLI's current ownership.
    The two stations aren't officially commonly owned but they might as well be... In 2002 Samuel K. Stratemeyer sold WRIK to... his brother Daniel S. Stratemeyer. Samuel K. (as sole owner of Sun Media) still owns WJLI.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Thread Information