Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WJLI 98.3 tx site

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    The transmitter is in Virginia, not North Carolina... http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WAFX-FM

The US Broadcast Zone boundary seems to slice right through southern Virginia... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cast_zones.png

Either it's outside the stricter boundary or it was grandfathered in with a higher power.
    From 73.205(a):
    Beginning at the most easterly point on the State boundary line between North Carolina and Virginia; thence in a straight line to a point on the Virginia-West Virginia boundary line located at north latitude 37°49′ and west longitude 80°12′30″;
    I had to plot it on Google Earth.. the WAFX tower is 2.67km on the Zone II side of the line. There's another station in Suffolk, WVBW 92.9. It's roughly four miles north and 22 miles east of WAFX - which puts it squarely into Zone I territory - and makes WVBW a Class B.

WAFX signed on late in 1983, way too late to be grandfathered.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

WJLI continues running low power... It won't even light the "stereo" indicator on my receiver and I'm line-of-sight from the tower.

Maybe, one of you, with more internet speed than I've got, (that would be everyone) can do some research to find out why WJLI is down to flea power.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

There are no recent FCC applications, I can't find a social media presence other than their website which is half broken because of what appears to be a format flip??, etc. Their stream is operating though.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thanks for checking, Raymie... I thought there might be a WJLI Facebook page or some other kind of interactive media but, apparently not.

It's still running flea power as I type.

As for the format change... a while back WJLI was a Pop / Top 40 / AC station. They switched to Classic Rock a couple of years ago.

73, Ed NN2E
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-19-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

It's a miracle!... I stepped outside, after sunset, looked to the south and I could hardly believe my eyes... WJLI's top tower light is back on! It only took them about 5 years to fix it. I wonder how long it'll last.

WJLI is still running low power, though, it does light the stereo indicator on my FM receiver, now. It registers an S-5 on the R-7000 receiver with the antenna aimed right at the tower. For comparison, local translator W238AN (250 watts, iirc) is 10 db over S-9. As I was typing this, WJLI ran an ad / ID bragging about their 100,000 watt power output. I think I can safely say this was false advertising.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    It's a miracle!... I stepped outside, after sunset, looked to the south and I could hardly believe my eyes... WJLI's top tower light is back on! It only took them about 5 years to fix it. I wonder how long it'll last.

WJLI is still running low power, though, it does light the stereo indicator on my FM receiver, now. It registers an S-5 on the R-7000 receiver with the antenna aimed right at the tower. For comparison, local translator W238AN (250 watts, iirc) is 10 db over S-9. As I was typing this, WJLI ran an ad / ID bragging about their 100,000 watt power output. I think I can safely say this was false advertising.

73, Ed NN2E
    At your range & with that signal I wonder if the transmitter is even on?

An FM transmitter generally consists of two units: an "exciter" which generates a low-power signal on the order of ten watts, and a series of power amplifiers that boost that signal to (hopefully) the station's authorized power.

If your authorized power is only a few watts (for example, it's a translator) you might not even need the power amplifiers. You connect the exciter directly to the antenna. (usually through a filter)

Often, turning the transmitter "off" means shutting down the power amplifiers. If you're going to replace a tube or a solid-state amplifier module, that's probably adequate.

But the exciter is often still operating. And depending on the transmitter design, some of that RF may still get through the disabled power amplifiers to be radiated. It may be only a few milliwatts, but if you live near the tower that may be enough to hear it.

Oh, from a legal standpoint, a station is required to notify the FCC if they're operating at less than 90% of authorized power. Within the last few years, the Commission has ruled that operation with unauthorized facilities doesn't count as "operation" at all. If it continues for more than a year, the license is forfeited.

Provided they can prove it.
    Last edited by w9wi; 04-23-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: FCC info
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Hi Doug...

When I was at the WJLI site I never looked behind / opened any of the tx cabinets to see if they'd run a jumper from the exciter, by-passing the power amp, to the antenna. It's not my tx so I didn't mess with it. The power amp was definitely off... no fans, no heat, no hum, no lights. I suppose there could have been enough signal 'bleed-through' from the exciter, through the non-active power amp, to get a few milliwatts to the antenna. Anyhoo... this morning the signal is 40db over S-9 on the R-7000 rx. (through an FM trap) I'd imagine the power amp is running, now.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

That (bypassing the power amp & running the exciter directly to the antenna) happens too, but if they'd done that the station would have been plenty loud at your location. You probably couldn't tell the difference without looking at the transmitter. I remember (MANY years ago) when an electrical panel fire took down WIBA-FM in Madison. They patched the exciter to the antenna and ran an extension cord from the exciter to a socket on a different panel to get back on the air. 25 watts ERP instead of 50,000 but where I lived seven miles away you couldn't tell the difference.

I've heard exciter leakage (on a transmitter I was familiar with) over a range of about a mile. That's a LOT weaker -- I could identify the station but nobody would listen to it.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

That's funny... Running an FM station on an extension cord... That's a good one. :-)

Many years ago, I was involved in de-bugging an FM tx.... It kept tripping the circuit breaker on the power amp side of the cabinet. We determined the HV transformer had a primary that was shorted to ground. So, replace the xformer, right?... well, um, no... We unbolted the xformer from the chassis, jacked it up, stuffed a slab of wood in under it, plopped it back down, and left the mounting bolts out of it. Problem solved. I'll bet that tx is still running just the way we left it.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Uh-oh... I looked to the south, last night, and guess what?... Yup, you're right, the tower lights are out, again. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. I wonder if it'll take another five years to fix them, this time.

73, Ed NN2E
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-28-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thread Information