Thread: Sparc SHD-T750 HD Radio thoughts

Default Sparc SHD-T750 HD Radio thoughts

I needed a new HD radio to monitor at the house (for work) as the Sony is used primarily for DX purposes and not instantly accessible. Anyway the SPARC is an interesting radio that quite frankly gives the SONY a run for its money.

Sensitivity and selectivity are really close. Doing a side by side comparison it was tough to pick a winner but maybe a slight edge to the Sony, but not by much.

Comparisons were with the same 6 element outside antenna. The SPARC has no whip and comes with a wire T dipole. I tried it briefly and it worked as expected....not all that well.

The Sparc did decode an HD signal from Orlando (90 miles) that the Sony did not. What was interesting was the RDS. It decoded rapidly vs the Sony.

The Sparc is a pain to tune. No direct entry or remote. The built in speakers sound alright. Nothing spectacular. No sleep timer but there are two alarms ?

I am curious to find out what others think of this radio. I hope to have the Sony for a long time, but if it ever bit the dust, the Sparc "might" be a replacement but it does leave much to be desired.

Juan
    Fort Pierce, FL

The XDR-F1HD has pretty mediocre RDS decoding when compared to some other newer radios. I don't know if its because decode chips have improved but I find newer radios can do near instant RDS decode with no errors where the Sony takes a bit longer and seems more prone to errors.

How is this SPARC radio when it comes to adjacent channel selectivity? I have yet to find a radio that can draw in a clean signal on the first adjacent to a strong local like the Sony can. Its the main feature that makes the Sony such a valuable DX tool in my opinion.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

I tried the Sparc vs the Sony on 93.5 WBGF 93.5 from Belle Glade at about 60 miles distance. It sits next to WGYL 93.7 that is about 4 miles from me. With antenna pointed to Belle Glade I was able to pick up WBGF 93.5 with both radios. I really couldn't tell the difference in the radios.

I tried 93.9 and both radios picked up WMIA in Miami at 120 miles equally.

Both radios are very selective. Sensitivity seems about even the more I experiment. I'll pass on more observations.

Juan
    Fort Pierce, FL

Thanks for the review. Where did you buy the radio? I can only find the SHD-T860, which seems to be newer going by the model number. Here it is on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SPARC-Radio-H1...dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Does the 860 seem pretty much the same as your 750? The Sparc website only lists the 750, but the "buy" link there takes you to that amazon page.

Thanks once again for this review. It prompted me to go ahead and purchase the Sparc, and I'm extremely happy with the radio. I ordered it from Amazon, and the radio itself and paperwork do say SHD-T750. So far I've just got it connected to the supplied T dipole antenna, which i have mounted on a wall facing E/W, with one half of the T above a window.

I'm only using portable radios for FM DXing, and the Sparc blows them all away in sensitivity and selectivity; plus, it rivals my Accord car radio. I have a very strong local on 88.3, and the bleed on 88.1 is practically non-existent on the Sparc. Also, I'm now receiving some Austin stations regularly that only come in occasionally via tropo on my other radios.

As noted, the Sparc does have rapid RDS decoding. During some e-skip openings earlier this week, I was able to ID a few stations (e.g., 88.1 KLTU in Mammoth, AZ; 91.1 KNLB in Lake Havasu, AZ) quickly by RDS.

The lack of direct frequency entry is a negative, so I set up presets throughout the band to move through it quickly.

?How does the audio quality of Sparc SHD-T750 AM-FM-HD radio compare with for example a Tivoli Audio radio https://www.tivoliaudio.com/model-on...ble-radio.html

Thread Information