Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sangean HDT-20 HD Tuner

Default Sangean HDT-20 HD Tuner

The Sangean HDT-20 HD tuner is due out July 31, 2016. Universal Radio is one of their authorized retailers and has an overview page here...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/3520.html

List price is $279.99, Universal Radio customer price is $199.99. It looks like you can order NOW and be on a waiting list.

I *think* the WTFDA should have a Technical Editor and he/she could persuade Sangean to loan them a unit for an FM DX technical review, right here on the WTFDA Forums. Any volunteers up for it? Remember, you have to be up for long hours of continuous dx and perhaps little sleep at night, dealing with any type of dx thrown at you or lack there of. There I go again, dreaming.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Universal's site lists "AM-HD Stereo"....yeah right.

If I had money to burn, I might spring for it; but sorry!

Also it mentions HD2 and 3....no 4?

cd

I saw a picture, and it looks A LOT like the HDT-1X.

Anybody know whether it's "supposed to" be as good as the HDT-1X was? I have an HDT-1X right now, but I want to replace it...perhaps I have some kind of lightning that got into it or something, but the RDS only works if the DX station is coming in extremely strongly, and even in the midst of the big July 12 skip opening, I got RDS displays from only FIVE TO SEVEN stations from 88.1 to 107.9, and the skip was TOP OF DIAL at the time. Ordinarily I would expect 35 to 90 decodes during the same band scan. (Sometimes a frequency will give two or three decodes in a few seconds, if it's working properly.)

I'm definitely looking for a HDT-1X, or something that's "as good" at quickly giving RDS decodes.

Having, in effect, *NO RDS* during this huge skip opening was crippling. I know and remember how great it works "when it's working" and it definitely ISN'T right now, at least not very well.

Is there anything "between" the HDT-1X and the upcoming HDT-20, or is this the first tuner of its type in a few years?
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Universal's site lists "AM-HD Stereo"....yeah right.

If I had money to burn, I might spring for it; but sorry!

Also it mentions HD2 and 3....no 4?

cd
    IIRC all HD radios have HD-4 my portable doesn't say it had -4 though it does. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	19202
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

I keep waiting for reviews on this unit. Hoping someone will release something to rival the Sony XDR-F1HD in terms of DX performance--possibly with faster RDS decodes.

Hopefully there will be reviews soon; it would be great to know. Unfortunately even the most optimistic timetable doesn't allow me to have this new receiver in time for this Skip season, and that's where I am so crippled by the very poor decodes I get on my current unit. It has probably cost me 100 or more "new" stations; and even when something decodes on this defective HDT-1X, the decodes are often bogus or just plain wrong.

For example, one of only two decodes I saw from tonight's skip opening was WIP-94.1, which decoded as WBQ...then WBRU...then finally WIP.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear if there's anything good that exists right now...and it has to be something which can accept an "intense" outdoor antenna without collapsing into complete overload, etc.
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 08-05-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	19377 if you can find one the NS-HD01A is DEFINITELY the one to get!
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

I haven't heard much about the NS-HD01A from a DXing standpoint. Can you expand on your endorsement a bit? How does the unit perform on analog signals? How well can it decode weak RDS signals? Is there provision for using an external antenna? Any information you can provide would be great.

Les N1LF

I'm also skeptical of something so small - not necessarily manufactured to the EXTREMES of:
    1. sensitivity
    2. selectivity
    3. protection from overload

I can almost imagine the thing "blowing up" when I'm pointed in any southerly direction. I have two strong locals and a Class A all at 3 to 4 miles from me, roughly south of me.

Within reason, MONEY IS NO OBJECT FOR ME. I'm not going to flinch if I have to shell out $430 for a great tuner or something - I don't want something that will dissolve into Signal Puree when I point at my locals. I mean, no I don't have locals like Pat Dyer or some other people have, but certainly enough here to overload a moderate tuner badly.

I've actually found a HDT-1X for sale right now, but I haven't gotten an answer yet whether the RDS decoding is robust. (The problem is that the RDS decoding on mine is about 90% broken - meaning it WILL decode sometimes, but almost never does it decode anything on skip except "local" signals.) I also don't know if the HDT-1X RDS decoder might have a design flaw where it often gets ineffective, or whether I just simply got unlucky.

I haven't counted up how many new stations I got on Es this year on FM, but I think it's around 20 or 25. In prior years (like 2012) when the RDS *WAS* working fine, about half of the new stations I logged were via RDS, and no reason that shouldn't still be true. This year I believe I logged *ONE* new station via RDS ID. That's very telling.

I want to get ready with this by next Es season, because I KNOW that (for example) if it had been "badly working" as it is now, I would have *NEVER* logged XHCSV-93.1 Coatzacoalcos VE, because it was just weak signals that day (in 2011?) and I got their "WHOI" display because it WAS working well. At 1560 miles it's my longest single hop, or my shortest double hop, on FM.

Anybody else with this tuner, is it your experience that the RDS decoder has stayed "robust" for YEARS and not deteriorated like mine has?

I also wish somebody had a HDT-20 so there would be some comparison, because I only have a couple days to decide whether I want the HDT-1X or not. I'd hate to buy it, only to find out that the HDT-20 is indeed much more wonderful, but the current situation is untenable. (It would be an incredible plus, too, if the HDT-20 has some kind of signal meter on it!)

Also, does anybody know whether the new HDT-20 is supposed to STORE the "most recent" RDS decode on a given frequency? It would be great to be able to sit on a reasonably clear frequency overnight, and actually see that something like Tyler TX showed up on 93.1 overnight. With theHDT-1X, unless I'm actually looking at the display within a few seconds of a meteor burst, the station and the information are BOTH lost forever.

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this new receiver, at all? I need to decide...quickly...whether to "hop on" the HDT-1X that is currently available.

I'd hate to miss out on that, only to wait to find out that HDT-20 tuner is actually inferior to the HDT-1X.

Thread Information