Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sangean HDT-20 HD Tuner

On July 19th, Sangean officially released their User Manual for the HDT 20. It can be found here as a PDF document...
    http://www.sangean.com/support/downl...T-20_GB_V1.pdf

If you want to refer to the manual multiple times, I would suggest downloading it and saving it to your computer in a location where you can easily locate it. By default, it will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) or similar Acrobat product. Due to copyright laws, it is not wise to extract and post any information directly from their user manual on this forum. I am posting a couple pics that they are allowing retailers and reviewers to use for publicity.

If you go to page 3 in the user manual, you will see a drawing of the rear panel, which shows an FM external antenna connection, but it isn't represented as a 75 ohm coaxial connection. The manual says they supply a FM dipole antenna, but I haven't been able to find a picture of that antenna to determine antenna connection. I haven't seen an actual photograph of the rear panel in any of their marketing materials.

I can't find any REAL specs on this receiver and don't know if they will be available at all. The SPECS they put in the user manual is rather generic stuff. Not sure what Sangean is *hiding* in a receiver for $200+, other than they think an HD radio should command this type of price. I sent an email to the Universal Radio marketing department to see if I could test drive a model for two weeks. Not holding my breathe.

***I just read this evening on RadioInsight the radio will begin shipping to retailers next Monday, August 8th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDT-20-B 03.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	19434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDT-20-B 04.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	19435  
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 08-05-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Extra info
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

THANK YOU for your response, Jim! I guess I have NO CHOICE but to go for the existing HDT-1X that won't be for sale after the weekend. I just have to assume that, unlike mine, the RDS is working fine, reliably, and quickly. I have to assume my issue isn't a common issue with the design and many HDT-1X's have NOT lost most of the RDS decoding ability, and that I just happened to be unlucky with it.

On the big July 15 opening, I think I may have had a total of 6 to 10 RDS decodes, and two new stations logged via the RDS (10 new stations in total), and I probably actually ID'ed about 40 stations. I remember when the RDS was working properly, I would routinely get as least 50, and sometimes more than 100, RDS ID's during a good opening. Instead of 6 to 10, I most surely should have had more than 100 RDS ID's from the opening, though the low total was probably somewhat determined by the certain knowledge that my RDS results were going to be terrible. The Philadelphia-NYC-Connecticut corridor is extremely heavily populated with RDS stations.

There are a LOT or RDS ID'ers in the educational band, and I've generally (comparatively) almost ignored that part of the band, so there is so much that I need, and RDS could really help me there. As far as Es stations logged, 88-92 is substantially my "worst one-fifth" of the dial. I guess now it's an issue for 2017. Now, even if there's a big skip opening, I'll probably miss it by not paying as much attention.
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

There are some grainy images of the rear side on Sangean's website, here and here. Its possible that its a F connector where the threads are shaved off 2 sides giving it a more oval shape, like the one side of this F connector. I believe the XDR-F1HD has an coax connector like this. Regardless it is listed as a 75ohm port so it should be compatibile with coax cable but may require some odd adapter if its not a F connector port. But it would seem odd to make a product that targets the North American market that uses a coax connector other than the F connector.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

I watched the full 360 rotation of the radio a couple times Spunker88. It certainly looks like the threaded F connector with the two sides flat. Yes, the Sony has the same thing, with the top and bottom of the 75 ohm connection being flat. It is odd the drawing in the user manual shows it in some odd shape (almost a tear drop shape).
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    On July 19th, Sangean officially released their User Manual for the HDT 20. It can be found here as a PDF document...
    http://www.sangean.com/support/downl...T-20_GB_V1.pdf

I can't find any REAL specs on this receiver and don't know if they will be available at all. The SPECS they put in the user manual is rather generic stuff. Not sure what Sangean is *hiding* in a receiver for $200+, other than they think an HD radio should command this type of price.
    If you've ever took the covers of an HDT-1 or 1A you'll find that 50% of what is inside is air. There's one main pcb, a display board and a power supply with transformer. The rest is empty.

I'm going to guess that the HDT20 is no different. I'll also go out on a limb and predict that the selectivity/sensitivity specs are no better than the HDT1 and that it's not a XDR-F1HD.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Be helpful if we knew what chipset is being used. I'm thinking it's not too different from earlier models.

I received my hdt-20 yesterday. I'm using a Winegars hd6010 omnidirectional antenna at 25 ft with it. The sound quality on the hd stations and local analogs is outstanding. That's the good news.
    This tuner is not for dxing. I'm 37 miles north of Chicago and 52 miles south of Milwaukee. Chicago fm stations sound great and lock easily. Milwaukee fm stations such as 93.3, 95.7, 96.5 etc that are directly adjacent to Chicago are no where to be found. Distant stations not adjacent to Chicago stations such as Werv 95.9 are garbled and full of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmondDxer View Post
    I received my hdt-20 yesterday. I'm using a Winegars hd6010 omnidirectional antenna at 25 ft with it. The sound quality on the hd stations and local analogs is outstanding. That's the good news.
    This tuner is not for dxing. I'm 37 miles north of Chicago and 52 miles south of Milwaukee. Chicago fm stations sound great and lock easily. Milwaukee fm stations such as 93.3, 95.7, 96.5 etc that are directly adjacent to Chicago are no where to be found. Distant stations not adjacent to Chicago stations such as Werv 95.9 are garbled and full of noise.
    I packed up the hdt-20 today and returned it to Amazon. There is an excellent review of this tuner on Amazon by a poster named DirectedEnergy. It details everything wrong with this tuner better than I ever could.
    I really want a hd tuner so I ordered a used Sangean hdt-1 from EBay. Mike Bugaj wrote an excellent review of this tuner in 2007 so I'm hoping this model will work well.

That's sad. I was hoping it would have an even better decode unit in it, but that's irrelevant if the selectivity is like 5dB or something!!!!!!! what Edmond is describing, sounds like the awful selectivity on the KLH-18 tuner which I had half a century ago, where I was nearly 40 miles from the Detroit stations and the adjacent frequencies were almost entirely unusable.

Is there any such thing as an SDR tuner which can withstand the rigors of having a massive high-gain outdoor antenna hooked up to it and not overload, and yet have great adjacent selectivity? The HDT isn't an SDR unit, of course, but it would be great to have one inline, and actually be able to archive a block of frequencies while I DX. (I would probably archive 88.1 up to whatever range is available, while I DX "higher up" in real time.)
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Merrill View Post

Is there any such thing as an SDR tuner which can withstand the rigors of having a massive high-gain outdoor antenna hooked up to it and not overload, and yet have great adjacent selectivity?
    Of course there are. You just need to buy one and try one. And if you don't like it just send it back and get your money back. If you never try one, you'll never know.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Thread Information