Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Hop Es - Puerto Rico to New Brunswick

Default Double Hop Es - Puerto Rico to New Brunswick

**Update #1: Youtube summary here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYPVu4EJBY**
    **Update #2 (12/31/16): New log uncovered; 92.3 CFRK - (92.3 CFRK.mp3)

Hi All,

Those who follow the DX reflectors may have seen my mention of this. I am vacationing on the northwestern tip of Puerto Rico, in the Rincon area. My temporary QTH is a small vacation house overlooking the ocean to the north.

Radio setup is an ELAD SDR, to a Kitz variable RF amplifier (necessary with a low gain antenna & elad), to a stock dipole from a Sony XDR, strung as a vertical dipole using the stick of a planter, since there are no hooks or other convenient places to mount outside of the house. The house is typical PR style, which involves concrete... so I had to sacrifice a direction for the building to block, which is east-southeast toward the big PR stations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_095113.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	19339
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_095142.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	19340

The first hint of Es was the first time I fired up this setup. A 96.3 was heard with English Sports talk, which seemed peculiar. There are no stations on 96.3 in PR, and only a faint station via tropo from Dominican Republic was noted aside from the English station. Speculation has that this was perhaps WEEI Cape Cod, but I didn't get an ID or have a chance to check the stream.

The above was brief, and about 2 hours later, around 5:40 PM, came the identifiable E-Skip.

First was 93.1 CHLQ-FM, in Charlottetown, PEI, at about 1935 miles. In English, a weather forecast mentioned Celsius temperatures consistent with the local area, with lows in the teens and highs in the 20s (notably cooler than here in the Carribean). Then, a slam dunk ID for "Q93" was heard, into Classic Rock. Unfortunately, due to a settings issue in Elad software, I didn't get it on recording.

Later, 93.1 lit back up with Classic Hits. And ID for "Up! 93.1" was heard (93.1 CIHI - 2xEs PR.mp3) Later, another fadeup was heard with the slogan "Fredericton's Feel Good station" (CIHI_Audio_1.mp3), which belongs to CIHI-FM Fredericton, NB, at a distance of 1905 miles (to city center).

An ID was also heard for CBC Programming on 90.5 (CBHA_Audio.mp3), where the only reasonable target seems to be CBHA, in Halifax, NS (also around 1900 miles).

And after further review a few months later, an ID 92.3 CFRK Fredericton, NB was found mixing with a Dominican Republic station via tropo. Audio here: 92.3 CFRK.mp3

In addition to these two positive IDs, later SDR review revealed:

90.7 with French Music. Faded out right before a possible ID:
    Unid_907_FFMusic.mp3

91.9 with English AC format. No ID noted:
    Unid_919_EEMusic.mp3

93.5 with some weak French Talk, probably not identifiable:
    Unid_935_FFtalkweak.mp3
    Last edited by K4NBF; 12-31-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed audio formatting, etc
    Bryce Foster - K4NBF (formerly KG6VSW)
    Hermitage, TN EM66
    www.k4nbf.com

Tuners:
    Elad FDM-S2 SDR
    Sony XDR-F1HD

Antennas:
    Innovanntenna 10 Element FM beam (primary) @35 ft
    Winegard HD-6065 (phase) @25 ft with Bolin Phase Box
    Tennadyne T2 V/UHF log periodic @ 30 ft

The 90.7 clip has the song Hey Jane by Adam Cohen.

Jon

Bryce, these are great recordings. Everything came together at the right time. The best I've been able to manage when down in the Caribbean is 250mile tropo.

This reminds me of Bob Cooper who had many New England FMs via tropo while living in Turks and Caicos.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Hey is there a reason why Safari won't allow .wma files to be played? It oughta work as mp3 on this iPhone.

No matter....this stuff qualifies for Sticky Status, does it not?

cd

Safari is Mac based, .wma audio is Windows format. The .wma files have to be converted to .aac, which is Mac/Safari audio format.

Discussion about this on the Apple forums...
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/29347235#29347235
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Hey is there a reason why Safari won't allow .wma files to be played? It oughta work as mp3 on this iPhone.

No matter....this stuff qualifies for Sticky Status, does it not?

cd
    No kidding!

As for WMA files, the format is so proprietary it's a mess. I think VLC for mobile (iOS and Android, for the record) should be able to handle it.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I also think its way cool that Bryce happened to be in Puerto Rico at the right time and in the right place!

And so here I am, just helping Bryce out here, for all those iOS and Android based devices that won't play .wma audio...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thanks Jim.... Wow "Fredericton's Feel Good Station"....just wow. Indeed right place/right time.

Back to work, Bryce.... (And using only a dipole, yet....)

cd

One time I was sitting on the balcony of a cruise ship and heard Es from Illinois received in the Bahamas (about 250 miles off shore of Florida). I recall hearing 99.3 WAJK, coincidentally "AJK" are my initials. This was back in May 2005. Distance was about 1,390 miles. I think this catch was helped along by some tropo.

But your double-hop makes this a lot more impressive. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Super DX Bryce, especially considering using only a dipole. Your 90.7 is very likely CFBO "B-O 90.7" Moncton, NB, 30 kw. And maybe 91.9 is Moncton's CKNI.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

Thread Information