Thread: Pro's and Con's in the result of raising the FM6

Default Pro's and Con's in the result of raising the FM6

After raising the FM6 up from 15 to 20 feet several days ago, there have been some very positive results, and one negative. The positive is there is much better gain. I can now once again receive KPQ 102.1 Wenatchee WA, a couple hundred miles away. A bit distorted considering how many ranges the signal has to go over. I used to get them 30 years ago, but that was before the dial got so crowded here. I think there is another station on 102.1 at Shelton WA, which is closer, but carefully turning the FM6 gets a decent null on Shelton to bring in KPQ. Pretty steady in signal too. So I have noticed several stations I used to get, I have not heard in years. That is a plus.
    The negative is raising the FM6, I now get more signal from the locals, so stations I got in HD co channel locals (94.9 & 96.5), I no longer get as the locals are too strong so there is no HD lock from 94.9 & 96.5 Seattle. Once I get the Korner 9.2 which gives more gain, many I can find a compromise. Of course, I cannot keep the antenna up all Winter at 20 feet. I still need to switch the CM 7777 over to the FM6 to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully no overload.

My guess is the Korner will be more directional and as long as you aren't having to aim right into your locals, it may pull in more signal from the distant stations. When you add the CM 7777, that might present the other overload issue IF you have to aim the antenna toward your locals. I thought you were running a Sony XDR-F1HD for a tuner? Those typically are not suppose to have problems with overload. IF you continue to have overload issues, you might have to add an inline adjustable FM attenuator at the tuner and only use it when the antenna is pulling in enough local signal that you notice overload issues. Just an idea.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I am not having any overload issues, but since raising the FM6, I get more signals from most of the locals, overall. The FM6 did better at 15 feet in knocking down the locals South of me, since I can get the two Seattle stations in HD. The CM7777 may cause overload, however pointing the 91XG UHF yagi at the translators 12.2 miles away (LOS), I do not get any overload there on ch 17-34). Yes, I am using the Sony. The only mixing I get are caused by the locals at the transmitter sites. The local set up is poor, especially the cluster on Tillamook Head in Seaside.

When I first raised the modified FM6, the signal was better raising it up 5 feet as I reported. Within a few days the signal strength had dropped. So I took it down checked the continuity and connections, cleaned it up, put it back up, little difference. So this morning, I decided to put up a new unaltered FM6 (I have 3), I did put the coil on the new one. Well, there is something wrong with my modified FM6, as the signal strength is back and much better. To be honest, in comparing the F/B, some frequencies are worse, some are better. I get a much sharper null on local 96.5 (11 miles away 7 KW), and now can get Seattle back locking in HD. With the modified FM6, I had lost that. With experimenting a lot in the last year between the modified FM and the non modified, it is really a toss up. At least here. At a difference location results may be different. The forward gain of the FM6 not modified is enough of a difference, that is a plus for me. We have a lot of FM's in our area, but nothing like a city. Is the F/B better with the modified on some frequencies better?. Some it seems worse, or the forward gain is cut down enough, that the improvement with the F/B really doesn't matter, as losing the .5 DB can make the difference in getting a signal or not. I am looking forward is getting the Korner 9.2. It should give me the extra gain, plus have a better F/B all in one package. The issue here on the Oregon Coast that the salt air does not help and a year up there in the elements is not good. So I will keep the new unmodified one up there until I get the 9.2 up. By the way, replacing the Modified FM6, with the unmodified, does make a big difference in gain. I am getting more Seattle/Puget Sound FMs in HD. With antennas there is no perfect science. Things that should not work do, other things should work not do not. But I thought I would pass along the results. No, I haven't hooked up the booster as yet, as with several stations causing mixing products I am wondering if the results would be worse. It is not on my end, but the Transmitter sites. Tillamook Head in Seaside is a real mess of mixing products and any receiver close by. Megler WA to the North, has some too, but not as bad. A person can drive up within a few miles and get all sorts of RF garbage. I will leave things alone. I just have a feeling the 9.2 will work well enough anyway.

Thread Information