Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a better radio for FM DXing than Sangean ATS-909X?

Default Is there a better radio for FM DXing than Sangean ATS-909X?

Also, for those who can answer, is there a better radio than the aforementioned one for receiving distant, say 100 mile, stations on a regular basis?

I've been bitten by the 909X's reliability issues (inexcusable at its price point). Although it has good FM performance for a portable, there are other options.

I use one of the Sony HD Radios with an FM6 yagi antenna. It's not portable, but there are several FMs over 100 miles I can hear as locals. (Not necessary full quieting, but larger yagis would help that.)

An important factor is how many stations you have within 50 miles. Almost any FM radio can get impressive distances where the band is near-empty.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

What do you mean by "reliability"? Do you mean RBDS? Or what else?

Which is better reception wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Newenglandradio View Post
    What do you mean by "reliability"? Do you mean RBDS? Or what else?
    I mean that many 909Xes become paperweights.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

If you live in New England, there are probably very few (if any) FM radios that can give you reliable 100mi reception. Certainly that's not possible in CT. Your best bet is along the CT/RI/MA coast but you need help from some tropo. I used to hear NYC FMs on the car radio when I've been right on the beach in Old Saybrook, but new LPFMs and translators block most of those freqs now. The Grundig G8 and the Traveler 3 are good radios with DSP but don't expect miracles with them.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I was just using 100 miles as an example. I was really looking for the best portable FM radio for DXing and getting the furthest stations on a regular basis.

If I lived in New England, I would likely spend more hobby-time on candlepin bowling.

Nothing against DXn up there; I'm one of the old school who likes that game! At least YouTube gives me my fix.

cd

The Homer Simpson of DXing?��
    I'm only 13 years old, and I've been DXing for 3 years. In 2013, I used my grandpa's car radio, which has been known to get stations from Portland, ME to Block Island, RI in non-DXing seasons in suburban Boston, but when I was on Cape Cod, I E-Skipped a Jacksonville and a Nashville market station! When on Cape, my "semi-locals" range from WMNP (Block Island) to all of the Boston stations, and most rimshots. I can often get 95.7 WZID there as well, but it's very weak. Another great DXing excursion was in York, ME, when suddenly almost all Cape stations were IDable, wiping out many semi-locals and even a local from getting any real signal there. Even 95.9 WCRI Block Island was able to penetrate through a semi-local.

Quote Originally Posted by Newenglandradio View Post
    Another great DXing excursion was in York, ME, when suddenly almost all Cape stations were IDable, wiping out many semi-locals and even a local from getting any real signal there. Even 95.9 WCRI Block Island was able to penetrate through a semi-local.
    Yes, I've been to the York Inn with an FM tuner and rabbit ears and had some of the strongest tropo to the Cape that I've ever seen. Just as you say, locals were wiped out! Welcome to the forums, by the way! :-)

The Grundig G8 is good on FM, good sensitivity and great selectivity but no RDS.
    The Grundig Traveler 3 looks like the G8, not quite as selective as the G8 but it does have RDS.

I started with the G8 but now just use the 3 when I go on vacation. I'm not sure what else new is out there now.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Thread Information