Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a better radio for FM DXing than Sangean ATS-909X?

WBLM was wiped out by WPXC, and WHTP was by WOCN. Also, WSCA-LP was wiped out completely by "clear as a bell" reception of WCOD!
    A few days ago, I was in Providence and I received Portsmouth and Portland market stations like semi-locals, including WHEB wiping out an in-market local, plus WSCY from the Lakes Region and WBQX from the Augusta area.

Yes, it's been a bit of a Maine-a-Palooza, of late for me just north of Boston, as well. But, this one squeaked in on a great tropo opening:
    Oct. 8, 2016 Sat. 9:28 AM EST (14:28 UTC), Swampscott MA. 2010 Honda Fit radio.
    New! 94.7 WNSH “Nash FM” (C&W), Newark NJ, strong, then crunchy. 207 mi. 23,500 watts, HAAT 679 ft.
    2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
    Grundig G8 ultralight .

Would it not make more sense to use a good FM tuner (separate with a integrated amp or pre amp and power amp in a stereo system) to DX with than a portable radio like a Sangean? I just find it hard to believe the tuner in any portable radio is going to be as good as the tuners made for stereo systems. I have a Carver TX 11a and that beats the crap out of any portable FM radio I've ever used for DXing or regular reception.

Hmmm, comparing ANY other radios to the Sangean ATS-909X (aka portable radio). It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your dxing. IF you can only allow dxing on the fly (in other words, on the run and not in a dx shack), then I guess you settle for a portable - then its down to a Grundig model or a Sangean model.

BUT - in the context of your question - Is there a better radio for fm dxing than the Sangean ATS-909X - a very experienced, seasoned FM dxer would have to wonder the basis of that question and if the person presenting that question is NEW at the hobby of FM dxing. Any amount of research on FM dxing will show that the BEST radios for FM dxing are ones that offer superior sensitivity and selectivity, coupled with an outdoor directional antenna, designed for the FM band. Many dxers used the Sony XDR-F1HD radio, for those reasons.

One thing to keep in mind with successful FM dxing and using a portable. A good portable, such as the Sangean ATS-909X, will generally work good with Sporadic Es reception (E-skip), and stronger signals with tropo openings. Having a good radio that works with an outdoor directional antenna will yield much more many times over, compared to a portable.

***I reread post #9 and the OP said he is 13 years old and has been dxing for 3 years. So I must clarify, given your age. Perhaps a portable works best in your situation. IF there is someone in your family that shares your interest and might have access to purchasing equipment that costs more money, perhaps you could partner up with them and *build* a dxing shack for your hobby. AGAIN - it really depends on how much you want to get involved with this.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

I already have a CC Radio 2e. We use it as a semi portable... plug it in but bring it places. No one in my family is truly into it but I live in suburban Boston and my mom always drives to work thinking of me when she hears a Cape Cod station crystal clear... and it's now one of her presets!

BUMP.

Just an update.
    On my CC Radio 2E, I have been able to receive Ritmo 95.7 out of Miami (forget the call sign), and many other stations from Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee, Atlanta, Savannah, and other southern cities.

That's WRMA, Spanish AC, N. Miami Beach, (xmitter at One Bayfront Plaza, Miami) 40,000 watts, HAAT 167 meters (548 feet). A nice bit of E-skip, there, most likely.
    2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
    Grundig G8 ultralight .

Thread Information