Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye, MundoMax

Default Bye, MundoMax

The network has basically gone into permanent rerun mode, is not renewing its affiliation contracts, and is headed for a likely December shutdown. Stations are scrambling to find new affiliations.

Its losses in affiliations have been staggering. It already was dropped by Entravision. KYVV Del Rio-San Antonio went off the air in May and it took nearly five months for anyone to notice.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

The multiple WGEN's here in South FL do have SS infomercials on their .2's....I see them going to the .1 and either shutting off the .2's, or, to just add another infomercial sub.

cd

I wonder what it means for XHRIO. (Independence?)

Kegan

Quote Originally Posted by XNA DXer View Post
    I wonder what it means for XHRIO. (Independence?)

Kegan
    Entravision already bailed. XHRIO flipped to The CW on October 2 and brought forward its virtual channel switch. (I suspect CW was a temporary fix in order to get *some* programming on the station as they already hold the affiliation.) In the other cities the subchannels carrying MundoMax on XHDTV, KVYE, KTFN and KXOF have disappeared.

Because KYVV folded, MundoMax had essentially lost all access to the border.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Just heard today my local KRFT-LD's contract with MundoMax expires Nov. 30, and then they are gone. Estrella TV will be coming to Springfield MO market around Jan. 1st and KRFT owner (Mike) told me it will be on 8.6 - Retro TV will get bumped to 8.1 and another channel will open up and negotiations are under way to bring another national multi-caster to Springfield. Mike also told me ION TV is on its way to Springfield but didn't know the particulars on that negotiation.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Just heard today my local KRFT-LD's contract with MundoMax expires Nov. 30, and then they are gone. Estrella TV will be coming to Springfield MO market around Jan. 1st and KRFT owner (Mike) told me it will be on 8.6 - Retro TV will get bumped to 8.1 and another channel will open up and negotiations are under way to bring another national multi-caster to Springfield. Mike also told me ION TV is on its way to Springfield but didn't know the particulars on that negotiation.
    I figured Estrella TV was the next best bet. I'd have to imagine they're comparable offerings for their affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    I figured Estrella TV was the next best bet. I'd have to imagine they're comparable offerings for their affiliates.
    There is one thing Mike Craft told me about Estrella TV versus MundoMax and a few other Hispanic offerings that run as multi-cast channels that had not occurred to me before. He said Estrella TV originates from California and is original Mexican TV style programming. He said he has learned from radio & TV programming in Florida. He said that a lot of Spanish TV programming from the southeastern part of the US has strong Dominican influences and Dominicans and Mexicans typically don't like each other, in other words, translated, they recognize the difference in TV programming, Dominican versus Mexican. That was a new thought to me. Its something I had never thought about before.

Springfield MO's Hispanic background is typically from central Mexico (Aguascalientes and region) and he said he had to take that into consideration when shopping for another Spanish channel. Who would have thought....
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 10-14-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Edit post for clarification
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    There is one thing Mike Craft told me about Estrella TV versus MundoMax and a few other Hispanic offerings that run as multi-cast channels that had not occurred to me before. He said Estrella TV originates from California and is original Mexican TV style programming. He said he has learned from radio & TV programming in Florida that a lot of Spanish TV programming from the southeastern part of the US has strong Dominican influences and Dominicans and Mexicans typically don't like each other (translated, they recognize the difference in TV programming, Dominican versus Mexican). That was a new thought to me. I had never thought about something like that.

Springfield MO's Hispanic background is typically from central Mexico (Aguascalientes and region) and he said he had to take that into consideration when shopping for another Spanish channel. Who would have thought....
    There's a reason that Univisión doesn't do as well as Puerto Rico as Telemundo — the programming philosophy of the former is much more Mexican.

MundoMax was dependent on a lot of Turkish TV shows, which I don't think quite clicked. What's interesting is that in parts of South America, those have caught on. At one point in Chile, 9 of the 10 top-rated shows were Turkish.

Perhaps the one thing I will most recall about MundoMax was seeing on Fox Sports Florida, a full two-minute ad in Spanish for Suleiman (one of said Turkish shows) when it was still MundoFox. There's no question the network did well in Miami — WGEN despite having once dumped its local news went back to it (or never axed it at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    KYVV Del Rio-San Antonio went off the air in May and it took nearly five months for anyone to notice.
    I missed this. What's on KYVV now?

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    I missed this. What's on KYVV now?

- Trip
    They stated in their Q2 KidVid report that they went off the air on May 12. And they were silent for all of Q3.

Thread Information