Sorry I haven't updated for so long, things been kinda busy around here with the new shop going up, and I wanted to test the antenna out over a couple weeks.

Before I start, let me say Jim Thomas has been a tremendous help to me with my DX'ing. Recently he ran an elevation report for me and found that with the exception of north-northeast to east-northeast....there's nothing in the way of my antenna. For reference I am near the town of Rogersville MO. The elevation here is about 1420 feet and is one of the higher up places within 10 miles. The best view for my antenna is basically from east to south to west. According to Jim, if a straight line were drawn out 10 miles at 240 degrees, an antenna at that location would have to be on a 281 foot tower to equal the height of my antenna here.

I am 100% certain this explains at least some of the reason I'm seeing the performance I am from this antenna. Some other reasons: The coax I'm using to test this antenna is 40' long and a straight shot from the transformer to the tuner box, no junctions. On the other hand there's no pre-amp and the antenna was anywhere from 14 inches to 10 feet or so off the ground measured to the bottom screen reflector.

I deployed the antenna from 5pm to as late as 3am nearly every day. During these times, when I point it towards Kansas City, at least one Kansas City station decodes. It's usually KCTV or KPXE first, but as the sun starts to set, eventually the stations I can get all show up. The signal usually swings wildly from super strong to super weak but as the night wears on things stabilize and the KC channels become watchable a good part of the time. With or without enhancement indicated on APRS, Kansas City seems to show up regularly.

It's the same way for stations in Joplin, northwest Arkansas and Little Rock, with or without enhancement. if I point it their way at least one of that market's stations will decode with a swinging signal that eventually stabilizes around and after sunset. With Joplin (269deg@90mi) it's usually 43/12 KODE....and that's with KYTV 44/3 close (55deg@11mi) and kicking out a 1Mw signal. Northwest Arkansas is 50/51 KNWA (235deg@66mi) and Little Rock is usually KATV 22/7 (169deg@165mi) with KOZK 23/21 (55deg@12mi) adjacent. The signal from Little Rock swings more wildly and is less watchable than KC until later in the evening.

When I point the antenna towards Memphis, Jonesboro AR Tulsa and St. Louis I see evidence their signals are there, but they're usually way too weak to decode without some kind of enhancement present. I like to call this "in the background".

The first night I put it out on my front porch I got full decodes from 4 Dallas TX market stations @380mi and decoded the big four stations in Oklahoma City @265mi with tropo present. What's remarkable about that is only half the antenna could see over the roof to get them. This antenna has garnered me about 12 new logs in the past two weeks.

The signal levels are anywhere from two to fifteen times better than the Hobotenna and the stock Winegard PR8800 I got from Jim. The PR8800 would not gather enough signal to decode K26GS in Harrison Arkansas (178deg@66mi, 11.2Kw, 2edge, predicted NM 1.7 and power -89.2dBm), averaging a signal strength of 5 to 8 on the Digital Stream box. It always decodes with the Megatenna at an average ss of 36-39, after sunset raising to the mid 40's.

I see no reason not to put the Megatenna in to service. Now that my 19'2" tall shop is done it will make for a great place to put a pole. The bottom of the antenna is planned to be 10 feet over the metal galvalume ribbed roof (unless anyone can see a reason to go up more) placing the top of the upper receiving assembly at about 37 feet.

For now I'm done with testing. I don't want to take a chance damaging it....since it only took 3 months to complete. It would take a heck of a good DX forecast for me to put it back out, until it goes on the pole. Once it's in real-time service I'll start officially logging and reporting DX with it. Will keep everyone posted as time permits!