Thread: Fidel Castro 1926-2016

Default Fidel Castro 1926-2016

Well it was probably 7 hours later I read about it, but eveybody knows by now.

If you are asking what that might mean for Cuba herself, or the media.....I say that things will still be the same for a while. Brother Raul has really been the Presidente for quite a few years.

For me it would be nice for their DTV to switch to ATSC, but it is too late for that. Will NTSC-to-DTMB set top boxes be more readily available in the USA? I would say the jury is out on that as well.

What say youse guys?

cd

On the early morning US network TV news, they said Raul was well groomed by his older brother to be the President and is quite proud of him - so don't expect any big changes from him. They said if he did make changes that his brother wouldn't approve of, it would be a signal of disrespect to his brother. They said Cuba is more interested in what will come AFTER 2018, when Raul's term in office will end. They said the outside world and global technology has really put a crunch on Cuba's economy (can you say 80 cents a day?) and why classic cars are still in style there. No one there can afford new cars and only the government and companies can afford computer technology.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

*IF* there is a major change in economic theory in Cuba (and that's a big if) the most likely result would be the establishment of private TV channels in the country. It's very likely that would take the form of the privatization of one or more of the six existing channels in the country. (in other words, no increase in the number of transmitters in operation) Even if more transmitters should be established, I think they'd likely be established at existing sites. As in most countries, multiple lower-powered transmitters will be used to reach Cuba, rather than a small number of high-powered transmitters as in the U.S..

I see little or no chance of Cuba switching to ATSC. The system has already proven inferior even in the U.S.. (hence, ATSC 3.0) Equipment is available from China. (which is where the receivers will come from regardless of which system Cuba uses -- and because China uses essentially the same system for their domestic TV broadcasts, the economies of scale are good)

The primary advantage of ATSC is greater coverage for a single transmitter. In countries where a single station may operate multiple transmitters*, there really isn't much point to ATSC.

* i.e., every country except the U.S......
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    On the early morning US network TV news, they said Raul was well groomed by his older brother to be the President and is quite proud of him - so don't expect any big changes from him. They said if he did make changes that his brother wouldn't approve of, it would be a signal of disrespect to his brother. They said Cuba is more interested in what will come AFTER 2018, when Raul's term in office will end. They said the outside world and global technology has really put a crunch on Cuba's economy (can you say 80 cents a day?) and why classic cars are still in style there. No one there can afford new cars and only the government and companies can afford computer technology.
    Maybe independent TV will take over....and I have a great idea for a first show....."Chasing Classic Cuban Cars"? If this happens they need ATSC and I need about a 32 bay bowtie with a 1975 satellite dish as a reflector!

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    *IF* there is a major change in economic theory in Cuba (and that's a big if) the most likely result would be the establishment of private TV channels in the country. It's very likely that would take the form of the privatization of one or more of the six existing channels in the country. (in other words, no increase in the number of transmitters in operation) Even if more transmitters should be established, I think they'd likely be established at existing sites. As in most countries, multiple lower-powered transmitters will be used to reach Cuba, rather than a small number of high-powered transmitters as in the U.S..

I see little or no chance of Cuba switching to ATSC. The system has already proven inferior even in the U.S.. (hence, ATSC 3.0) Equipment is available from China. (which is where the receivers will come from regardless of which system Cuba uses -- and because China uses essentially the same system for their domestic TV broadcasts, the economies of scale are good)

The primary advantage of ATSC is greater coverage for a single transmitter. In countries where a single station may operate multiple transmitters*, there really isn't much point to ATSC.

* i.e., every country except the U.S......
    I agree. What I expect would happen would be privatization of one or two of the networks (hiving them off of the ICRT) while Radiocuba remains in charge of transmitter operations.

But we're a ways off from that.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

FWIW, a sure change of pace for R Enciclopedia this morning:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBK5Qj_cvA

cd

Thread Information