Thread: One of our best has passed away. :(

Default One of our best has passed away. :(

Hello. Not a good time to post, but it has to be done.

Per the FMTVDX Log, and after research in the area, we have learned that Mr. Patrick Dyer of San Antonio died of a heart attack on December 17, 2016.

He would always have something to post on that Log of interest to DXers. He will be missed. Prayers for his family.

I would think that this thread would be the proper place to post any memories that members here had of him.

cd

Thanks for posting Chris. I think we all had a feeling. I will miss Pat. I considered him my DX "neighbor". One night that comes to mind, was back in June 2012. An awesome tropo duct opened to the east coast of Florida(Cape Canaveral area). Pat and I were receiving stations fairly strong, and I remember we kept hoping the tropo would move farther south-hoping for the Miami area. A fun night for me, and one I will always remember because Pat and I were the only ones in this particular tropo event. We lost a big one.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

NOBODY consistently logged so much VHF/UHF DX for as long a time as pat, and, In doing so, helped a lot of other DXers know when and how to pursue DX.

I met Pat at the 1985 WTFDA convention in New Orleans. He gladly answered questions, but did not brag. He also has shared a lot of useful information with us. He is already missed.

I would like to suggest that WTFDA should get an amateur club license to preserve the WA5IYX call sign.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    I would like to suggest that WTFDA should get an amateur club license to preserve the WA5IYX call sign.
    An interesting idea. With our Latin American friends abandoning the VHF-lo band I've been wondering if a handful of amateur SSTV stations on 6 meters could make e-skip fun again. I have no experience with SSTV but am considering getting my own amateur license. Does anyone already DX these?
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Does anyone have a *recent* photo that includes Pat in it? I have scoured his photo archives on his ham radio website and found various pics of him from earlier years (including his 2013 Texas Photo ID card), but nothing recent - like attending a dx convention or similar. There is an effort to put together a memorial for him, both from ARRL and the WTFDA.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I hate to bump a thread, but I actually found a mistake on the site...in the Mexico section, of course.

The 1985 audio clip labeled as XHNF-FM is actually XHNP-FM (so not Tepic, but Puebla). I definitely hear a P, not an F (though I can definitely hear why it would have been logged as XHNF).

I went searching for some proof and did find *one* reference to a station called Tropicálida in Puebla, a cursory mention from a 1982 Proceso article where the Universidad Autónoma de Puebla cries foul over its inability to get into radio while a new station was being put on the air. (BTW, that would mean it took 7 1/2 years for XHNP to get on air; the university would wait 15 more!):

"Al referir las “limitaciones sin” a las expresiones independientes, el vocero de la Universidad Autónoma de Puebla describe las trabas y pretextos que la Secretaría de comunicaciones esgrimió para negar a esa casa de estudios la autorización para operar una radiodifusora. Pero —dato que refleja la política gubernamental en la materia— la misma dependencia permitió que el 19 de noviembre, víspera del 72 aniversario de la Revolución Mexicana iniciara sus transmisiones una nueva radiodifusora en Puebla: La Tropicálida, que forma parte de la cadena monopólica “Estrellas de Oro”"

I've found one less reliable reference that would confirm this as being XHNP-FM, and a thesis that uses the 1975 concession date as the sign-on:

"En 1974 aparece la XEPOP ("Radio Capital") y al año siguiente la XHNP-FM ("Tropicálida"). La XHRH-FM ("La Romántica") empieza a operar en 1976, seguida por XHORO-FM ("Radio Oro") en 1979."
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thread Information