Thread: Finco fm 3 yagi

Default Finco fm 3 yagi

I currently got 2 of these yagis I purchased about a month ago. I was lucky to find them. Two fm 3 finco yagis. Both are 4 elements. It seems like they have a pretty good gain. Built in the 1960s these are rare to find. I'm just wondering what the actual gain is on these. I compared one to a stellar labs 4 element antenna and the finco clearly won. It looks like the boom is 5'10 and the stellar labs is only 5'6. The lengths are longer too. I have to use a channel master balun though which isn't bad. I saw the specs on the finco fm 4 and that was a forward gain of about 6db. The front to back hovered around 20 dB. That's impressive for an antenna built in the 60s where fm wasn't crowded. I just wonder what the specs of the fm 3s are. Probably not like the fm 4 but I think better than the modern day stellar labs. Anyone else agree?

Never heard of a Finco FM3. Over the years I've owned an FM4G, an FM5 and another huge Finco FM yagi that was around the length of an APS13.

There is just so much gain you can squeeze out of four elements. Probably 5-7db is about the max. Considering that a three element antenna is just a driven element, a reflector and one director, I'd say about 4db gain is all you can get. You need more directors for added gain.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I've looked all over trying to find any info on the finco fm 3. I can find nothing. It almost looks like a copper made antenna it's gold but it's still aluminum. Last year I bought an innovantenna 8 element and the gain was good but the pattern was awful. I face it north to pick up 92.5 wcpt in Dekalb il but it gets wree 92.5 in Urbana instead. It's a one dimensional pattern seems like it dominates the southeast in any direction. On 92.9 I have a bloomington station which is close but it can be nulled out easily. However the innovantenna facing north would get in 92.9 in quincy il and Olney il. The finco and stellar labs would bring in 92.9 in dubuque facing north usually. The innovantenna wouldn't bring that in at all. It's hard to believe 2 smaller antennas would be more directional than that. I put it together the way it showed me.

Back in the 60's, they coated the antenna elements (gold anodized, they called it) to keep down, corrosion.

Gary H.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hickerson View Post
    Back in the 60's, they coated the antenna elements (gold anodized, they called it) to keep down, corrosion.

Gary H.
    I had a Finco FM10 on top of a two story apartment in Anaheim, CA in the early 70s and in two years the smog completely destroyed the elements...badly corroded, and it WAS anodized. Shows you the power of SoCal smog, lol.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Mike,

I had two uncles, that lived in the Long Beach area. When I would go out, on vacation, I would have to replace thier antennas. They were destroyed by smog & salt air ! I don't think anything, could hold up, out there.

Gary H.

Here's a mid '60s print ad for the Finco FM-3, but good luck attempting to read the blurry print material. Not sure if the info includes gain, etc. figures.

http://kvhf.com/flyers/Finco4.jpg

Thanks for the info on the Innovantenna. Brian had mentioned the pattern was poor. I like the 9.2, but I wish it had the gain of my old 6065. But that was before we had so many FM stations and translators too. I feel directivity is equally important now. The 9.2 does very well with directivity, getting distant FM stations in HD over locals. The 15.2 would probably be the best choice, but no one is imported them from Europe.

Thread Information