Thread: FM band scan east of Yucatan January 2017

Default FM band scan east of Yucatan January 2017

Here is an FM band scan from about 50 miles east of Yucatan. Stations are mostly tentative with no clear IDs coming from Mexico, Balize and Honduras. There is one AM station from Honduras at the end. Interesting Maxima 97.5 in Cancun seems to be carrying digital signals as well.

Ivan NO2CW

88.5 Radio Universal Corozal Belize (tentative)
    88.9 Love FM Belize (tentative)
    89.7 Unknown
    91.5 La Z Cancun QR Mexico
    91.9 XHMET Valladolid
    92.3 Radio Formula XHCAQ Cancun QR Mexico
    92.7 XHUM (Candela Valladolid)
    93.3 Unknown
    93.7 My Refuge Radio, Belize (tentative)
    97.5 Maxima XHCAN cancun QR Mexico
    99.3 Ke Buena XHQAA Chetumal QR 25 KW
    102.1 La Estrella Maya Que Habla XHCPQ Carrillo Puerto Zona Maya
    102.7 Tuerquesa FM XHCANQ Cancun QR Mexico
    105.1 Radio Turquesa XHNUC Cancun QR Mexico
    ----------------
    91.5 La Z Cancun QR Mexico longer recording
    92.7 XHUM Candela Valladolid
    1590 AM Radio Perla Honduras
    Last edited by NO2CW; 01-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.

In 1:22, probably your 91.9 is XHMET Valladolid. It sounds like a Government program about restrict native languages in indigenous radio concessions.
    In 5:37, your 92.7 is XHUM (Candela Valladolid, they mention 95.3 which is XHMH Candela Mérida, and the ad is a Mexican PSA about Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público), and maybe is the same in 2:00.

Yes, XHCAN-FM is HD Radio. I can confirm that myself having made a map of HD stations. Nice to see them on 97.5 where they belong.

For those interested in the HD map as it is a unique and valuable reference, I just gave it a tinyurl: tinyurl.com/hdmexico. The number of HD stations could very well double or triple in the coming years due to inducements from IFT-4 and the second wave of migrants which will be required to use IBOC.

If you are ever in doubt, the most accurate source is the HD Radio México FB page which often mentions the HD stations —*don't bother with their website. For instance here's a plug for XHCAN in HD.

My guess is the 89.7 could be Christian (a song with "nuestras aflicciones" sounds like a mention of sin).

Gargadon is correct — that's a Supreme Court PSA (note the mention of the "Primera Sala" as the Supreme Court is divided into two chambers) on the recent decision to finally make Spanish not the only "national language". XHMET is the only 91.9 in the entire region.

As to your 99.3, XHQAA is Ke Buena and locally run (no ties to Radiorama that I know of at this time).

XHECPQ is not in Cancún. It's in Felipe Carrillo Puerto in the Zona Maya. Unlike the station itself, you actually have the callsign correct!

Also, Poder Informativo...the newscast with the Fox NFL theme! :O
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thank you for the clarifications. I have added some notes and credits in the youtube video. I have a few more of those scans they get harder as Cuba and Guatemala jump into the mix. In those scans I only got a few RDS readings from strong Mexican and Honduran stations. I was very impressed with the Mexican stations on 97.5 and 105.1 - their signals seem to travel pretty far out covering the coastal areas of Honduras, Belize and Western Cuba.

No 90.7 Cancun?

cd

Quote Originally Posted by NO2CW View Post
    Thank you for the clarifications. I have added some notes and credits in the youtube video. I have a few more of those scans they get harder as Cuba and Guatemala jump into the mix. In those scans I only got a few RDS readings from strong Mexican and Honduran stations. I was very impressed with the Mexican stations on 97.5 and 105.1 - their signals seem to travel pretty far out covering the coastal areas of Honduras, Belize and Western Cuba.
    XHNUC 105.1 is a 100 kW flamethrower (which also has 7 shadows of its own across Quintana Roo, giving it statewide coverage)...while XHCAN is listed as just 3 kW.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thread Information