Thread: TV reception while airborne

Default TV reception while airborne

I have experimented a few times receiving TV signals while airborne. This example is from a flight Atlanta to Miami using a dongle wintv receiver from Hauppauge. The antenna was only 3 inches. If the antenna is by the window 3-400 mile range is easily achieved.

Ivan NO2CW

Default TV Reception While Airborne

Wow, that is interesting. I have never done that before. In fact, it looks better than I would have anticipated!

Several years back, after the switch from NTSC to ATSC, I did a few experiments. One was to use a Zenith DTT-901 converter box in our Dodge Grand Caravan to see how quickly signal was lost when going from parked to moving. I started by connecting the composite cables through the Dodge entertainment system and I was able to listen to the audio through the stereo speakers. I used a multi-band omni-directional mobile scanner antenna with a magnetic mount on the roof. I could hold a signal up to about 5 miles per hour and then I lost it.

Also back then, I had a job in which I was out and about in a car most of the day. Being something of a news junkie, I loved to listen to local broadcast news from 11 AM to 12 noon or 12 noon to 12:30 PM. I used that Zenith in my car. I had a voltage inverter for power and that same multi-band antenna. I used a cord to feed audio (no video) to my stereo through the auxiliary input. One of the biggest challenges was knowing what channel it was on. I kept the remote control in the car, but I actually didn't have to use it too often. Usually I tuned in virtual channel 4.1 or 5.1 and could do it via the up-down buttons. I would park my car, eat my lunch in the vehicle and listen to the audio. This is before we had Mobile DTV (ATSC-M/H) available locally. I eventually bought a Slingbox PRO HD and listened through my smartphone, which obviously worked much better!

When it comes to decoding an ATSC 1.0 DTV signal, you won't have much luck in a moving vehicle due to multipath. The signal bounces off of too many nearby objects, and it confuses the tuner, so you get no decode. When you're in an airplane, I would suppose you don't have any trees, buildings, or any other objects to cause multipath. I've never tried decoding a DTV signal in a plane, but I have used a portable analog TV many years ago. It was a lot of fun.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

One more example of airborne TV DX. This was a flight MIA-STL-MIA January 2017

Ivan NO2CW

Thread Information