Thread: Antenna Rotor for the 9.2 suggestions?

Default Antenna Rotor for the 9.2 suggestions?

I am looking to add a rotor to my 9.2. Any suggestions. We do have high winds at times, but I plan to drop the antenna down when they get 70-80 MPH gusts. Would a Channel Master work, or should I go after a Yaesu unit? I saw a medium duty Yaesu one for $300. The CMs are in the $100 range. The 9.2 is not that big or heavy. I would think the CM units work fine with large TV antennas, so maybe I do not need something more expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Patrick

The CM rotor, is to light weight, for what you need. It doesn't have a "brake" system, to keep things in place. You could go Yaesu OR check out MFJ Enterprises, in Mississippi. They sale Hy-Gain rotors (the old CDR). The Hy-Gain CD-45 II, would more than enough for your antenna. It runs about $449. These and the Yaesu, has a disc or clamp type brake system.
    Look up either one online, and you will get the specs. and better idea, of what to buy ! Also, look up Norm's Rotors, they have new and rebuilt, CDR and Alliance (HD-73), rotors.

Gary H.

Thanks for the feedback. With no brake system, I would realigning the antenna often. $450 is a bit out of my price range. I can afford something over $100, the antenna was only $200(!), but the high winds are something to deal with. I guess we get what we pay for. :-)
    Maybe I can find a rebuilt better unit. But I wondered about the CM. Thanks. I will do more checking. How does the info of wind per square inch and other info connect to wind gusts? Any way to connect the two?

Patrick

Can I make a suggestion Patrick? You might do good if you would get in contact with one of the amateur radio clubs in your area. I have found over the years there are always a handful of retired hams in each amateur radio club, regardless of area of the country, that tinkers - collects - fixes up electronic gear, such as the ham rotators. You might be able to get your hands on a re-built model for a fraction of the NEW PRICE. There are three amateur radio clubs in the Seaside area. It is definitely worth it to at least pursue this line to see if there are any good used professional grade amateur radio rotators available in your area. I pulled the information below from their respective websites. Just an idea.....

Seaside Tsunami Amateur Radio Society, Inc.
    P.O. Box 128
    Seaside, OR 97138-0128
    President - Hal Denison (WA7FIV)
    wa7ve@wa7ve.org

Cannon Beach Amateur Radio Society, Inc.
    President - Dale Mosby (K7FW)
    dale@archcape.com

Sunset Empire Amateur Radio Club, Inc.
    P.O. Box 264
    Astoria, OR 97103-0264
    President - Dana Gundy (AF7UM)
    president@w7bu.club
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Default re: Antenna Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Can I make a suggestion Patrick? You might do good if you would get in contact with one of the amateur radio clubs in your area. I have found over the years there are always a handful of retired hams in each club that tinkers - collects - fixes up electronic gear, such as the ham rotators. You might be able to get your hands on a re-built model for a fraction of the NEW PRICE. There are three amateur radio clubs in the Seaside area. It is definitely worth it to at least pursue this line to see if there are any good used professional amateur radio grade rotators available in your area. I pulled the information below from their respective websites. Just an idea.....

Seaside Tsunami Amateur Radio Society, Inc.
    P.O. Box 128
    Seaside, OR 97138-0128
    President - Hal Denison (WA7FIV)
    wa7ve@wa7ve.org

Cannon Beach Amateur Radio Society, Inc.
    President - Dale Mosby (K7FW)
    dale@archcape.com

Sunset Empire Amateur Radio Club, Inc.
    P.O. Box 264
    Astoria, OR 97103-0264
    President - Dana Gundy (AF7UM)
    president@w7bu.club
    Thanks for the great advice! I never even though of that! I was good friends with 3 or 4 Hams in the past, but unfortunately they have all passed away.

Thread Information