Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Is It So Hard To Find AM Only & FM Only Tuners?

Default Why Is It So Hard To Find AM Only & FM Only Tuners?

I have Googled my carcass off & found like 3 FM only tuners & zero AM tuners. I know somebody must still make them so fellow members please steer me in the right direction.
    DX: AM/FM Broadcast, WWV, NWS, Airport ATIS

In 2017, finding a radio *in itself* is no can of corn. Many radio stations now promote smartphone apps, and although I don't use any, I am sure most cellphones now have radios in them.

There will be car radios for years to come, but the whole radio landscape has changed so dramatically in the last 10 years. This, coming from a guy who still uses VHS and audio cassettes (in addition to smartphone and MP3 recorder) to record DX!

You can check www.ccrane.com and I also recommend www.radiojayallen.com for new radio reviews.

All in all, I still use old radios like GE Superadio II and III, and the late 2000s Sony XDR-F1HD. Last year I purchased the Eton 550 after reading Jay's review.

I wish you well.

cd (Pembroke Pines, FL)

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    In 2017, finding a radio *in itself* is no can of corn. Many radio stations now promote smartphone apps, and although I don't use any, I am sure most cellphones now have radios in them.
    Smartphones with FM support have largely been limited to prepaid markets and the developing world, though regulators and broadcasters in the US and Mexico are trying to encourage FM chips to be enabled in more phones and there has been some response.

Humberto has a Windows phone (he lives in El Salvador though, and Windows phones are kind of fading from the mobile world) and I've also seen Moto G/E phones with FM.

If you're interested in FM on a smartphone, the best place to start is the NextRadio supported devices list. Your options do vary by carrier. (Notably the Samsung Galaxy S7 is supported on all carriers.)
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

In Mexico is very strange to find a cellphone without FM radio (only iPhone and Moto X doesn't have that). Even the tendency right now is revoming radio function.

If you need a personal recommendation, I suggest Moto G phones. They have a nice reception (not like Mediatek-based phones like ZTE, Huawei, Lanix or Alcatel) and recording function (even I could record XHCLI-98.5 1000 miles far). Other recommended brand is LG.

Sorry guys I must have worded my request wrong, I was looking for tabletop AM & FM tuners the size of my raggedy Sherwood RX-4109 but just the stand alone tuners, you know dimensions like 19" wide by 17" deep by 5" high stuff.

Heathkit had a series of AM and FM-only tube tuners many years ago; you'll commonly find them on eBay. No doubt other brands as well. I believe the Dynaco FM-3 was Fm-only. It would be extremely unusual to find a single-band tuner today, I think they're required to be dual band by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Hill View Post
    Heathkit had a series of AM and FM-only tube tuners many years ago; you'll commonly find them on eBay. No doubt other brands as well. I believe the Dynaco FM-3 was Fm-only. It would be extremely unusual to find a single-band tuner today, I think they're required to be dual band by law.
    I know of no law requiring radios cover both AM and FM. The All-Channel Act refers only to TV& I don't know of anything else.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by AMFMDXer View Post
    Sorry guys I must have worded my request wrong, I was looking for tabletop AM & FM tuners the size of my raggedy Sherwood RX-4109 but just the stand alone tuners, you know dimensions like 19" wide by 17" deep by 5" high stuff.
    You may wanna try universal-radio.com , but I am sure the models will have shortwave with it.

Maybe Amazon.com or even overstock.com ....

cd

I went to Best Buy & called Crutchfield & they said AM tuners went out the window when AM stereo went bust. They said FM tuners are getting scarce too because the consumer market today wants everything in one enclosure. I remember a company in Sarasota Florida called Dayton Industrial that sold commercial grade monitors for various Government agencies & businesses that covered different bands & even certain services within some bands, at the time I was pondering their 30-50 MHz monitor which was a single channel monitor which you changed frequency using dip switches. They went belly up last year & I would like to know who bought up their remaining stock because I'd do anything to get one each their AM & FM monitors because the specs on all their monitors were off the chart. This is what they looked like from Google Images.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page1.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	19999

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	20000

Thanks all for your timely & informative advice & suggestions, I'll work this out, still learning that there's much more to AM & FM monitoring then just listening. so far the dongles pulling them in with that crappy high band mag mount antenna, just bought a bunch of DIY antenna stuff for the Sherwood from Home Depot, Wally Mart & one of the very few remaining Radio Shacks that are now under the Sprint umbrella, I'm learning a lot by just reading the forum threads. Take care everyone.

Try this site and search on "AM receiver" or "FM receiver". The Inovonics Aaron 640 and 650 are supposed to be exceptional tuners using DSP, similar to the Sony XDR-F1HD but with even better performance. They also cost roughly $2,000 and are FM only The site does however sell AM receivers as well, and more reasonably priced gear.

I've never bought a receiver from them. (I've bought other stuff)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Thread Information