Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Is It So Hard To Find AM Only & FM Only Tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Try this site and search on "AM receiver" or "FM receiver". The Inovonics Aaron 640 and 650 are supposed to be exceptional tuners using DSP, similar to the Sony XDR-F1HD but with even better performance. They also cost roughly $2,000 and are FM only The site does however sell AM receivers as well, and more reasonably priced gear.

I've never bought a receiver from them. (I've bought other stuff)
    "THAT"S" the stuff I'm looking for, can't get any of them right now in the middle of moving because if I did divert money for that right now my wife would see to it that all of you would actually hear of my untimely demise on your AM & FM radios but eventually I want one of those OTA AM & FM monitors. Thanks Doug, you have done a wonderful thing.
    DX: AM/FM Broadcast, WWV, NWS, Airport ATIS

From Audio Advisor's website:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC427

Both AM and FM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFMDXer View Post
    "THAT"S" the stuff I'm looking for, can't get any of them right now in the middle of moving because if I did divert money for that right now my wife would see to it that all of you would actually hear of my untimely demise on your AM & FM radios but eventually I want one of those OTA AM & FM monitors. Thanks Doug, you have done a wonderful thing.
    I recently bought a very similar receiver from BW Broadcast here in the UK, the RBRX Encore. It's an FM Re-Broadcast receiver (translator) for rebroadcasting your FM signal to a translator under difficult conditions. Lots and lots of tweakable adjustments including IF bandwidth (56 kHz to 311 kHz in 15 steps), stereo regeneration to remove noise/multipath distortion, de-emphasis, signal processing etc. It also shows RDS data such as PS names and PI codes. I bought mine for DXing purposes, where it excels. I agree that its performance does exceed that of the XDR-F1HD, in sensitivity and also clarity when receiving weak DX 100 kHz away from strong locals. Despite its complexity I found it very easy to set up and use. Nice rotary knob that adjusts all functions including tuning quickly up and down the band. I'm just waiting for the Sporadic E season to get going to give it a proper DX workout.

I've seen it advertised for $2500 in the US, but I don't know if this includes VAT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C580FD71-5056-B740-17BA5980EB28CA75-supporting_image_1.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	20298

There's more info here:

http://www.bwbroadcast.com/bwbroadca...ore/64/product
    Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, Triax FM5 horizontal beaming east.

Quote Originally Posted by antennanut View Post
    From Audio Advisor's website:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC427

Both AM and FM.
    The only problem with this one is that it has RDS but only the PS and Radiotext. For DXing you really need the PI code. Who has the time to wait for the PS to scroll. Most of the time they won't even put the callsign in the scrolling information and many stations use the same info in both the PS and radiotext, so the RDS isn't going to help you log a station. At this point, just give me an SDR. At least I'll get the PI codes.

Other than that, I like NAD tuners, having had 3 of them in the past. They sounded great, even after filter mods.
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 05-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Now this will give you an idea of the amazing sensitivity of the RBRX Encore. Sometimes on 87.5 there is a very weak iTrip on, usually playing what sounds like Turkish music. I noticed it was on yesterday evening, as it was quite clearly audible on the Encore, peaking in an ESE direction. When I tried my Sony XDR-F1HD on the same signal, it couldn't receive it at all. The Encore seem to be the only receiver that will pick it up.

As a caveat, the XDR-F1HD is about 8 years old now. I don't know if their sensitivity decreases with age but I doubt it. It seemed just as good as ever using it last year.
    Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, Triax FM5 horizontal beaming east.

Thread Information