Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three from Mexico on 690 in 8 hours!

Default Three from Mexico on 690 in 8 hours!

XEN is a given. I know they were mixing in there as it IDed and did all the expected things. But I am pretty sure I had XECS La Mejor from Manzanillo from 2300 - 0100 EST last night. I attach four clips, each explained in text below. I am also sure I hear "La Explosiva" once pretty clearly after the anthem - this would be XEST Mazatlán, just after 0700 EST. But I really would appreciate second opinion(s) on these recordings, with thanks!.

XECS:

690 unID MEX Possible Mejor ID 09FB17 2300.mp3 (471.5 KB) - Pretty sure there's IDable material pretty quickly in. Not sure I have a Mejor ID there. But feel compelled to include this clip.

690 unID MEX Possible Mejor 09FB17 2301.MP3 (2.03 MB) - Pretty sure there is a Mejor ID, but not certain.

690 unID MEX Mejor almostcertain 09FB17 2323.mp3 (961.7 KB) - Really think I have an ID here.

690 unID MEX Mejor again 09FB17 2330.mp3 (266.6 KB)-- In between tracks I think the announcer says "Mejor".

XEST:

690 XEST MEX Explosiva 10FB17 0702.mp3 (1.51 MB) - I am almost positive I hear (after the anthem ends) the words "La Explosiva" rise up from the jumble at about :50 of this clip.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Explosiva is nowhere near XEST's name. It should be Romance 94.7. I hear the XECS/La Mejor VO in there and in most of the other clips.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thanks re Mejor.

Re the clip attributed to XEST - I meant Invasora, not Explosiva. A DXer up here said he heard a La Invasora ID on a reception a day earlier at the same time. So I was looking for it exactly 24h later. 0700 EST is anthem time here fopr Mexico, and it coincides well with the sunrise skip peakin that direction. BUT ... now that I review my clip again, at the :50 mark, I am sure it isn't La Invasora or La Explosiva but La Deportiva. La Deportiva would be XERG Monterrey from listings I have at hand. Doers it sound like La Deportiva to you, at about :50?
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

That must have been their name a very long time ago. I don't even hear a trace of a "Romance" in there, so you probably heard XERG.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Two questions:

1) Re the second station once thought to be XEST: I agree, no 'Romance'. But I am convinced I hear La Deportiva at about :50 - do you? It comes very soon after the anthem ends. I think the ID was on the quiet side and the La Deportiva part was emphasized louder...that would be XERG Monterrey.

2) I'm also now aware there are two La Mejor stations on 690
    MEX XEMA-AM 1200-0600 Fresnillo 50/2 M-A La Madre de Todas (apparently also uses Mejor)
    MEX XECS-AM La Mejor 24h Manzanillo 5/1 ex La Z, La Grande de Manzanillo
    Do you hear anything in the Mejor clips that distinguishes between these two locales?

Thanks!
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Oh, duh...Fresnillo (I forget about AM a lot). It is indeed La Mejor...its FM migration half is noteworthy for having moved 800 kHz but no official source reflects the move that occurred in 2013. Fresnillo is 107.9 and Manzanillo is 96.1.

They'll be very hard to pick apart. You'll need a PSA, an ID, or in the case of Fresnillo, some cross-promotion with Grupo B15.

Tim Tromp in MI says he got XEMA fairly often prior to the slogan change. He's the one who alerted me to this. It's 50/2 and a lot closer. I wasn't getting the 650, 880 and other Mexicans close to the west coast that often come in. So XEMA makes sense for that reason too. We're trying for TOH calls but if push comes to shove I will probably log this as XEMA.

Just curious - Are you at all able to pick out La Deportiva slogan at about :50 of the clip labelled XEST (I suspect XERG Monterrey)?
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Yeah, I definitely can hear that in there.

Also, thanks for the XEMA stuff. Turns out the RPC just added the frequency change this week. XHEMA is now 100,000 watts and is believed to be the first new 100 kW station in Mexico since XHMSN. It is definitely the highest-powered of all the migrants as that used to belong to XHHW with 50 kW. Migrants were capped at 25 initially but XHHW and, coincidentally, the XHIH/XHEL cluster also in Fresnillo upgraded too.

Lots happening with radio and TV in Mexico. I have also had FM and TV Es to Mexico, getting into clear 2Es territory from here. You've actually helped me solve some FM unIDs. I follow a fair bit of your commentary and input in these Forums though I'm not close enough for FM and TV to really become intimate with those goings-on there. AM is my main pipeline to Mexico - I'll routinely work quickly up the band at 0100 and 0700 EST looking for Anthems ... an SDR would help ... my fellow DXers here are trying to persuade me. Actually, I'm persuaded but just haven't plunked down the change... Anyhow, your help and input is appreciated here!
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Lots happening with radio and TV in Mexico. I have also had FM and TV Es to Mexico, getting into clear 2Es territory from here. You've actually helped me solve some FM unIDs. I follow a fair bit of your commentary and input in these Forums though I'm not close enough for FM and TV to really become intimate with those goings-on there. AM is my main pipeline to Mexico - I'll routinely work quickly up the band at 0100 and 0700 EST looking for Anthems ... an SDR would help ... my fellow DXers here are trying to persuade me. Actually, I'm persuaded but just haven't plunked down the change... Anyhow, your help and input is appreciated here!
    The TV stuff has become less and less useful around here, but I still do it because nobody else does and I've carved out a niche. Nobody's doing the sort of research that I am, and it's fascinating to see stuff going on that's really groundbreaking. The pace of new station awards for noncommercial stations is increasing at the same time that we're getting new commercial stations for the first time in two decades, TV's opening up...

I've blown the lid off some big stories in the last year or so, too. It's exciting to be able to have a scoop.

Thread Information