Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current State Of IBOC/HD Radio

Hybrid View

Default Current State Of IBOC/HD Radio

I still have a couple of HD radios, but it is rare that I listen to them. What is the latest on this? Is HD radio doing okay or is it dying a slow death?

Currently DXing In Colbert And Lauderdale Counties In AL, And Alcorn And Tishomingo Counties In MS.

HD Radio is doing OK because HD subchannels(HD 2, HD 3, HD 4) can feed translators. Some translators actually get decent ratings such as 104.1 The Beat(W281AB) which is being fed by WMJJ HD 2 in Birmingham, AL: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb095

Because of translators HD Radio is probably staying alive in at least the near future.

I liken the slow rise of HD to that of FM. FM took decades to overtake AM in the listening derby.

Like was said above, FM HD subchannels feed FM translators, and indeed some do well....much to the dismay of the DXer.

But, like they say in today's language, "it is what it is."

cd

As long as HD is a loophole for creating commercial LPFMs, we're going to have those extra sidebands. (note that HD on *AM* is nearly dead. I don't think that's a coincidence: AM HD doesn't support multicasting or the translator loophole.)

Direct success is probably sneaking up on us. Cars are beginning to include HD whether you ask for it or not.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Yah...forgot to mention the "auto-HD," pardon the pun.

KMOX AM 1120 shut off its HD this year, I was told. I used to see the HD flash and hoping one day for a lock. Nope.

Miami AM has one lone survivor in HD: 1260 WSUA. It was missing for a month or so, but they're giving it another chance.

cd

I agree that it will start to 'come back' in a way. I personally do like it, obviously I personally hate the rise of translators but IBOC hasn't really hurt my DXing that much, I can definitely notice an increase in quality, (more spatial quality for one) WOLX for example, I consider to be a great station as far as quality goes, added it last year and I definitely can hear a quality difference, I think that's because they don't have sub channels, I'm not sure if IBOC is like ATSC in that the more sub channels the lower quality. I also like the added channels but stations around here don't make good use of them IMO, Madison already has Classical and WZEE-HD2 is classical and not something more useful like alternative or rap. Personally I tend to slightly prefer stations with IBOC.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

IBOC has several specific "modes". (unlike ATSC TV in which *any* split of the available bandwidth is possible) Yes, modes which offer more channels reduce the quality.

It is strange that WZEE is running classical on a sub. Hard to explain. Can't say I know of any other commercial stations doing that.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

HD radio sucks!! It would be better if it was more widely available, like on all car radios. But honestly, what percentage of vehicles made today have HD radio built-in? If it's gonna clog up DXable channels, then it should at least be as available as buying any AM/FM radio. On my Ford Focus, I have to hear IBOC hissing on adjacents, yet I can't hear the HD signals. What a joke.

"What a joke" more like what a farce

If they created a new digital band above 200 MHz, similar to DAB in Europe, HD radio would have my full and enthusiastic support. I enjoy DXing it, but obviously don't like losing open frequencies locally.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Thread Information