Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Both With FM Broadcast While On A Caribbean Cruise?

Default Should I Both With FM Broadcast While On A Caribbean Cruise?

I will be on a Caribbean cruise in a couple of weeks. Should I bother with trying to listen to FM broadcast as we pass near various islands? Also, is there any IBOC/HD Radio in that area?
    Last edited by Jim1348; 03-13-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Jim, you might want to plot your cruise course on here and note any cities or ports you will be passing or entering. Perhaps I might have something for you to check for the WTFDA FM DB.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Default Should I Both With FM Broadcast While On A Caribbean Cruise?

https://www.carnival.com/itinerary/8...lDate=12162017

-Miami

-Grand Turk

-La Romana

-Curacao

-Aruba

Well, plenty of IBOC here in Miami, Jim! You won't be let down. Turks/Caicos would be a jewel of a place to DX from! Not FM, but I'd be curious if the once-powerful AM 530 Radio Visión Cristiana still operates there; I think that Hurricane Ike in 2008 destroyed the 50 kW tower; it used to be audible in the daytime here.

cd

Please do an FM bandscan from Turks & Caicos and Curacao. List everything you can hear there with as much information as you can get. Post the results in the Bandscan forum here so we can use the info to update the WTFDA FM Station Database. Thank you.

http://db.wtfda.org
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

You might want to pull up the WTFDA FM database (http://db.wtfda.org) and sort the list of stations by country you are interested in. You can output the list to a text format so you can print it out to have with you when you are dxing and check the list against what you are actually hearing.

And I hope you have a great time on the cruise!
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Let's see...a cruise and an FM radio. I think the only way I could pull that off is if I were alone on the cruise. If not...I would probably have plenty alone time after the cruise.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

The only area will you might get an FM HD lock-on is when you will be passing through the Mona Passage between Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, emitting from the western coast of P.R.

See what you can pick-up on FM when your in the middle of the eastern Caribbean Sea between
    Dominican Republic and Curacao, Aruba Islands. Is the radio void of any stations?

If you travel nearby to Aruba and you have a laptop, check the Aruba listings (AWB) in the FM database (db.wtfda.org). I added those yesterday based on our trip there in December (the Blue FM studios were on a VUD cover one month from a previous trip).

In the mornings and evenings I had tropo from Curacao and coastal Venezuela. I would like to see a Curacao bandscan and if nobody will provide one, I may have to go there myself to get one :-). It would be great if someone would provide one.

Mike B
    Enfield, CT
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Oh and by all means, don't forget those even-decimal FM frequencies! Although primarily Colombia stations, FMList now shows a few Venezuelans using even decimal frequencies.

cd

Thread Information