Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAB Slams FCC Repack Plan, Seeks Changes.Says auction structure was faulty and flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    2 through 36 it will be.

There will be more VHF-high stations than before, but not that many, since these channels have been well occupied already, even in rural areas, where some broadcasters even favored them, to go through trees, over small hills, to the outdoor antennas rural viewers have actually been using. It also saves money on transmitter power, important, since the market is smaller.

There will be more VHF-low stations than before, though, again, not that many. Switching to low-V may be appealing to an independent or religious station, the kind that viewers will not install an antenna to watch, and selling down to low-V keeps the station on cable and satellite, while the owners of the station may pocket some cash.

What will be more difficult is UHF DTV DX by tropo - most DXers won't have any "holes" to point their antennas at for long DX.
    I see a majority of the lowband VHF stations being PBS's, especially based on what I saw in this article; the "one fell swoop" comment made me think this way.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-ra...s/201702100128

As long as cable TV AND "must-carry" are still around, those that move to low-V seem safe. Now....for us cord-cutters, it's a matter of convincing the public that their fancy 2009 "HDTV" ray-gun-style antenna will need to be replaced. Like the catchphrase in the comic strip "The Small Society" (is that still around?)......"Hoo boy...."

cd

Thanks for answering my question about which channels will be left. So what will we know in a week? I think some channels 38 and above have not applied to move yet as of now and I think there are some competing applications, I think it will be at least a few months before all the dust has settled, it could be longer.

I think it's too early to judge what's going to happen with band changes. I only have information on four stations moving to low-VHF, two of which are PBS.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Dang, I thought we were going to see eskip come back a bit to TV.
    Janesville,WI - Kaito KA1103 & Insignia HD portable 😜📻🔎📶

Quote Originally Posted by JVL DXer View Post
    Dang, I thought we were going to see eskip come back a bit to TV.
    I'm not an expert on this, but you may be better off with just a small increase in low V's. If the amount of DTV stations on 2-6 go to a pre-2009 total, you may have an issue with two or more lowband-V-DTV stations interfering with each other during an Es session, to the point where you will end up landing no signal.

In my current experience, it seems I have issues with multiple DT 5's doing this, because so many are concentrated in a region---but I can't really prove it.

cd

I'm with Chris on this -- from a DX standpoint, a *small* increase in low-VHFs is better than a massive increase.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I already know where most of my locals are moving after the repack, and it's not looking good for DX. Most are staying on the air. The number of DXable UHF channels leftover will make me want to find a new hobby. I imagine when that time comes, I'll replace my massive UHF antennas with a modest prettier one and get rid of the autologgers... because it won't be about DX anymore. It will be about just getting my locals.

VHF DX may still be okay, but good luck finding a manufacturer that still makes a real antenna.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Quote Originally Posted by amfmtvdtvbrla View Post
    Robert Grant, you said most DXers won't have any "holes" to point their antennas at for long DX, did you mean there wont be any open channels to DX on?
    with the transmitter power coming up on ATSC 3.0 and its more resistance to multipath problems we may be able to watch long distance TV stations with more reliability now. something we have not been able to do since the Analog TV days.
    "Open" is a little subjective. We may all agree that a channel with a full power DTV is "closed", and a channel without any station within 150 miles is "open", yet the combination of intense tropo and nulling with a directional antenna could reveal another station on a "closed" channel and a station hundreds of miles away can still be a "pest".

When the DTV transition was complete, many channels that had been closed became open to DX. In my case, Channel 25 had stations in Saginaw and Cleveland. After transition, the closest 25s were in Toronto and Pittsburgh.

Repacking involves moving existing stations to other channels more than stations being auctioned off.

After the repack, most people (perhaps not most of the USA' s land area) will have a station within 100 miles of them on EVERY UHF channel. Really nice ducts that allow one to DX a distant
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by amfmtvdtvbrla View Post
    Robert Grant, you said most DXers won't have any "holes" to point their antennas at for long DX, did you mean there wont be any open channels to DX on?
    with the transmitter power coming up on ATSC 3.0 and its more resistance to multipath problems we may be able to watch long distance TV stations with more reliability now. something we have not been able to do since the Analog TV days.
    "Open" is a little subjective. We may all agree that a channel with a full power DTV is "closed", and a channel without any station within 150 miles is "open", yet the combination of intense tropo and nulling with a directional antenna could reveal another station on a "closed" channel and a station hundreds of miles away can still be a "pest".

When the DTV transition was complete, many channels that had been closed became open to DX. In my case, Channel 25 had stations in Saginaw and Cleveland. After transition, the closest 25s were in Toronto and Pittsburgh.

Repacking involves moving existing stations to other channels more than stations being auctioned off.

After the repack, most people (perhaps not most of the USA' s land area) will have a station within 100 miles of them on EVERY UHF channel. Really nice ducts that allow one to DX a distant station that is on the same channel and at a greater distance (e.g. KARK without a trace of WTVW or WPSU DT 15 right behind megawatt WEWS) are few and far between.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Thread Information