Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NAB Slams FCC Repack Plan, Seeks Changes.Says auction structure was faulty and flawed

Currently DXing In Colbert And Lauderdale Counties In AL, And Alcorn And Tishomingo Counties In MS.

I wouldn't recommend giving up on OTA TV DX before any channel has moved. Wait until all the channels have moved and see what you can pick up.

During the transition period itself will be the most productive for DXers, as some frequencies clear up, and stations appear on new channels. Don't forget that six months after the transition begins (April), there will be fewer stations on the air, and still all 50 channels available. (Stations going dark should be off the air within 3 months, stations entering joint licensing on another stations transmitter must pair up in 6 months.) Gradually after that, remaining 38-51 stations (including low powers) will gradually leave that band until eventually (2020) we just have 2-36 left. Once repacking is complete, "empty" frequencies will be very rare, especially in major metropolitan areas (Miami) where there are lots of stations if you are close enough for low-powers to severely limit DXing.
    I am fortunate that I am located "between markets"... New York, Albany, and Connecticut. I just have 5 locals (one of which I understand is going off the air, and two are translators that will have to apply for new frequencies.) On the down side, being between markets, I already have stations on most channels in the 50-80 mile range or less; I have DTV loggings on each channel from 6-51 at under 80 miles, except for 9, 14, 15, and 16. (also channel 8 which is 86 miles, but a 24/7 regular and channel blocker). I don't expect things to get much worse for me. Channel 5 is my one really clear VHF channel here, and I am afraid I will lose it to someone near New York; I just hope it's low-power.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

Here is where my local DTVs are moving in the Cleveland/Youngstown DMA...

3 WGGN Sandusky
    8 WJW Cleveland likely stays here
    10 WOIO/WUAB Cleveland are pairing up and likely using WOIO's current channel 10 plagued by interference from nearby CFPL.
    12 WMFD Mansfield
    15 WEWS Cleveland
    17 WBNX Cleveland
    19 WKYC Cleveland
    22 & 23 likely staying in Akron... WVPX on 22, WDLI likely on 23 (squashed between 23 WWHO Columbus and 23 WNWO Toledo... yes it's possible)
    24 WEAO Akron
    29 WNEO Alliance
    31 likely that WKBN moves here (no where else to go on UHF)
    33 WFMJ Youngstown
    35 WVIZ Cleveland
    36 WQHS Cleveland

As you can see, the bands are being crammed like sardines, and there are still a few stations I don't know about. From what I heard, if a station can be crammed in, then then the FCC won't allow them to sell, and the class A's are easier to fit than the full-powers. Then the LDs will fight over whatever is leftover. It looks like UHF is turning into FM... a cluttered mess.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend giving up on OTA TV DX before any channel has moved. Wait until all the channels have moved and see what you can pick up.
    ABSOLUTELY agreed. There are some surprises in what's already been released. We'll have the real information in a week.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

^ Where on the Web can I find info on other locales similar to what is shown for Cleveland above? Just wondering if Miami has made any chess moves yet.*

And Chris L....sounds good after October. The shuffling/adding/dropping oughta make us more to add to our totals. As for me, I haven't seen a "newbie" since WGCU 31 Ft Myers about 10 months ago, and that was only after local WTVJ had issues. Hope for more such "issues" during that window

* And oh yeah---where is the "piggybacking"?

cd

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    From what I heard, if a station can be crammed in, then then the FCC won't allow them to sell, and the class A's are easier to fit than the full-powers.
    The FCC allowed all full-power and Class A stations to attempt to sell in the auction. No station was guaranteed to sell.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    ^ Where on the Web can I find info on other locales similar to what is shown for Cleveland above? Just wondering if Miami has made any chess moves yet.*

cd
    The only Miami station moves made public so far are WAMI 47 > 24, and WSFL 19 > 27. The NAB Clearinghouse has info for most markets, but only about 20% of stations have reprted. http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp Anytime after March 31, the FCC will release all auction results.

Andrew has been personally contacting stations and using info from NAB, as well as just making calculations to get a picture of the Cleveland,-Akron market.

There has also been a lot of discussion of repacking moves on the WTFDA TV & FM DXing Facebook page (Closed Group). It's open to non-WTFDA has well as WTFDA DXers... contact Mike Bugaj (MikeCT) for access.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

^ Sounds good, Chris. I have tried to withstand social media like FB/Twitter....but time to join the 21st century I guess.

[Note: Of course after March 31 cometh April 1. I just hope not to get suckered by certain repacking "way out there" moves, and then being told "April Fool!!"]

cd

I've emailed all my locals, but most didn't respond.

I would assume that any stations going off the air will not be quick to announce it. And other stations may still be working out agreements to pair up. What's annoying me about the results so far is that I haven't seen really any locals going away except WUAB pairing with sister station WOIO. The ones most likely leaving UHF are my semi-locals... I don't know if WYTV or WOUC have anywhere else left to go on UHF.

Sure, the transition will present good opportunities. I just won't like what's left.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    I've emailed all my locals, but most didn't respond.

I would assume that any stations going off the air will not be quick to announce it. And other stations may still be working out agreements to pair up. What's annoying me about the results so far is that I haven't seen really any locals going away except WUAB pairing with sister station WOIO. The ones most likely leaving UHF are my semi-locals... I don't know if WYTV or WOUC have anywhere else left to go on UHF.

Sure, the transition will present good opportunities. I just won't like what's left.
    Well just let me still have my MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, etc., and I should be a happy enough camper!

cd

Thread Information