Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repack Information Released

Default Repack Information Released

The FCC has now released the channel assignments for the repack. RabbitEars has a full set of tools to help you figure out where your stations are moving to, based on that public information. The guide to that is here:

https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...epacking-Tools

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Trip has done yeoman's work on this site. Easy to navigate. Good work, Trip.

cd

Thanks again for your hard work, Trip!

Looks like the cities around me (Miami, West Palm, Tampa, Orlando) will change assignments before my Fort Myers locals. That should maximize the number of new logs I get out of this.

Thanks for the info, Trip...

I've taken a quick look through the list...
    I already experience same-channel interference and we haven't repacked, yet. Just a few nights ago a north MS station (140-ish mi) wiped out one of my locals. This happens quite a bit. I suspect there will be a lot of, post-repack, interference in the mid south / mid west during tropo events. We'll see.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

This may be a dumb question, but I'll risk it....

Will Canadian/Mexican "border" stations using 38-51 at this moment, also have to yield to the wireless needs of the USA, and move on down the dial as well? I have no idea how this is to shake out.

Oh also---

Would my current CECB show a yellow bar in the future on 38-51, as people yakety-yak/text on their mobile devices (if "en masse")? And what if aliens use their smartphones on 37?---scratch that last question

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but I'll risk it....

Will Canadian/Mexican "border" stations using 38-51 at this moment, also have to yield to the wireless needs of the USA, and move on down the dial as well? I have no idea how this is to shake out.

Oh also---

Would my current CECB show a yellow bar in the future on 38-51, as people yakety-yak/text on their mobile devices (if "en masse")? And what if aliens use their smartphones on 37?---scratch that last question

cd
    So what's happening with the Mexican repacking (which they are also conducting) is that the border has seemed to be a priority. Almost all of the repacking authorizations that have been awarded for existing stations have been for TV stations in the border zone, almost all to Televisa. The exceptions have been in the Mexico City area, where some thought is being given now to repacking.

I believe there is a national plan (not made public) as to which TV stations in interior Mexico will go where. I found a shadow authorization for XHAUM (38) in Jalisco a while back and it specified that the station would move to channel 23 when 600 MHz is cleared.

Mexico's repacking situation will look like that in markets where no full-power stations disappeared (like Phoenix): stations simply will be moved, and there is no channel-sharing complication or "waterfall" move to high- or low-VHF. You can expect Mexico to sprout additional high-Vs, but that's because of channel management policy where new noncommercial assignments are being made in that band. (The SPR's fifth-wave xmtrs are all on RF 13, the UDG television expansion is on 9 and 11, and the newly announced TV station for the Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro is on 11.)
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Having taken more time to study the list I've spotted one BIG boo-boo... WJKT 21 Jackson, TN and WUXP 21 Nashville, TN are going to QRM each other... Bet the ranch on it... They're just too close considering how often tropo enhancement occurs in this area. I'd hate to live between those two cities and try to watch ch 21.

There are several other channels that are going to have QRM problems during the typical, Summer evening / morning, regional tropo (out to 150-ish mi) that is so common, here. It's gonna be interesting.

I see no mention of WTVF 5 Nashville... Does it stay or go?

cd... I wonder if the FCC can run these guys off of ch 37...

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...annel-37-un-ID

... see post #s 1, 14 and 19

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-14-2017 at 04:34 AM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

WTVF is moved from 25 to 36.

Tropo is not considered in any large way in the Longley-Rice propagation model the FCC uses. If it were, there would be some small fraction of the TV stations nationwide. I doubt that most people regularly see stations 140 miles away; you just have a fantastic location and setup.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Great Job on the site, it's done really well.
    Few things I'm Curious about, first, how are they gonna deal with adj-channel interference? In Milwaukee there will be a station on every channel from 27-32. A lot of these are on the same tower or are less than a mile apart, how does the current ATSC preform with a channel beside, or on either side of itself? I suppose there will be a lot of new multi-plexing.

When will or do we know the timing of the phases?
    What will the new power / heights and coverage maps be released?

Thanks, Ian.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Chris, with regard to your second question you can already test it. Because during the transition there were DTV stations above channel 51, your box should tune up there & see the mobile devices in 52-69.

Honestly I've never tried it!

(since on most CECBs it's a signal quality indicator rather than a signal strength indicator, I suspect you'll see nothing)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Thread Information